For more information call:443-643-3350 443-643-3350
Radiation therapy uses high-energy radiation to shrink or destroy cancer cells.
Almost two-thirds of cancer patients will receive radiation therapy, either alone or combined with chemotherapy or surgery.
Thanks to advancements in technology, the level of precision with which a tumor is treated has been dramatically increased and it takes much less time than ever before. Tumors can be treated with less damage to surrounding normal tissue, which means fewer side effects and better outcomes for our patients.
A highly trained team of experts from the University of Maryland School of Medicine direct your care at Radiation Oncology at the Kaufman Cancer Center in Bel Air. Our experience level and technology are on par with, or exceed, the capabilities of all other radiation departments in the region.
Our experienced radiation oncologists work alongside our surgical and medical oncologists and the entire clinical team, which includes nurse practitioners, patient care coordinators, nutritionists, speech-language pathologists and physical therapists. Each case is peer-reviewed during multidisciplinary tumor board discussions, where oncology physicians from different specialties meet to review each individual case and optimize treatment.
Having a team of diverse experts allows us to tailor a unique treatment plan for each of our patients. We continuously review these treatment plans to ensure your care remains effective and personalized to your specific needs.
To learn more about our program or to make an appointment, call 443-643-1199.
Therapies and Technology
At the Kaufman Cancer Center, our radiation oncologists use the best technology available for treating tumors right here in Harford County.
Our team of specialists discusses your case together and creates a complete and coordinated treatment plan to give you a chance for the best outcome. Your recommended options for treatment may include one or more of the following:
- Stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT) techniques are equivalent to CyberKnife, which delivers higher doses of radiation in fewer treatment sessions while sparing nearby normal cells.
- Intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) is a high-dose radiation treatment delivered to a tumor with pinpoint accuracy.
- Brachytherapy is a source of radiation treatment that is placed directly inside or next to the tumor that works by targeting cancerous cells from inside the body. It reduces the risk of damage to healthy tissue and significantly improves outcomes and shortens treatment time.
- Skin brachytherapy is a non-invasive skin cancer treatment functioning as an alternative to surgery.
- We are a regional referral center for gynecologic brachytherapy.
- We also offer breast brachytherapy.
- Image-guided radiation therapy (IGRT) uses imaging techniques during each treatment session to better focus the radiation on the cancer cells.
- TrueBeam Radiotherapy System is a linear accelerator (a device used to send high doses of precisely targeted radiation) that delivers radiation much faster than earlier systems.
- Trilogy System is another type of linear accelerator that combines the capabilities of other technologies into one machine, allowing our radiation oncologists to deliver treatment to tumors quickly and precisely.
- There is an expert proton therapy specialist located on-site who can discuss whether proton therapy treatment options are right for you.
Patients at the Kaufman Cancer Center also have access to an even larger team of radiation oncology experts and state-of-the-art treatments available at the University of Maryland Marlene and Stewart Greenebaum Comprehensive Cancer Center (UMGCCC) and the Maryland Proton Treatment Center (MPTC). These include therapies not often found elsewhere, such as:
- Proton therapy with pencil-beam scanning
- Hyperthermia to increase the effectiveness of radiation therapy by gently heating cancer cells
- GammaPod for early stage breast cancer
- Selective internal radiation therapy (SIRT) for liver cancer
These additional tools help ensure that you can receive a treatment plan that's ideal for your situation. Should you require radiation treatment at either UMGCCC or MPTC in downtown Baltimore, you will receive free valet parking with our complimentary Concierge Program.
Clinical trials, such as those combining immunotherapy and radiation treatment, that offer promising new therapies years before they are widely available. We have a robust portfolio of clinical trials available to patients undergoing radiation therapy treatment.
At the Kaufman Cancer Center, we have resources available for our patients to help them navigate their cancer diagnosis and treatment. Your care team includes medical experts, but also includes experts to help with the physical, financial, psychological and emotional aspects of fighting cancer.
Our improved digital access to secure patient data including medical information makes it even easier for you to view your personal up-to-date information on your smartphone or computer.
The Kaufman Cancer Center combines the convenience of a community cancer center designed with patient comfort in mind with the benefits of being a part of both a major academic medical center and comprehensive cancer center, including collaborative expertise between national cancer experts, the latest technologies, and promising clinical trials. Our team values treating the whole person and not just the cancer.
Available services to our patients include nurse practitioners, social workers, dieticians and other specialists.
Cancer LifeNet is a free system of support groups and services available to residents of Harford and Cecil Counties to help patients cope with the financial, psychological and emotional impacts of a cancer diagnosis. Expert professionals can help you and your family understand out-of-pocket costs during this difficult time, can provide support, and are here to listen and understand patients and their families.
Learn more about some of our different programs:
- Patient-Family Advisory Committee
- Wellness programs including yoga and acupuncture
With the most advanced radiation treatment services, access to clinical trials, and our team of experienced specialists, you can rest assured that you're getting the best cancer treatment possible, providing you with hope and healing closer to home.
Stories of Gratitude: Many patients at the Kaufman Cancer Center have shared the impact that their physicians and care teams have had on their healing process during and after treatments. Read the stories of other patients just like you and connect with local support programs.
Make an Appointment
To make an appointment or to learn more about the radiation oncology team at the Kaufman Cancer Center, call 443-643-1199.