For more information call:443-843-5864 443-843-5864
Keeping your lungs healthy is always a priority. Lung diseases are some of the most common medical conditions in the world, with millions of people in the U.S. alone suffering some form of the disease. From coughs and colds to more complex conditions like lung nodules and lung cancer, the Lung Cancer Screening Program at UM Upper Chesapeake Health has highly trained specialists that can help.
Lung Cancer Screening
UM Upper Chesapeake Health is a Lung Cancer Alliance Screening Center of Excellence.
University of Maryland Upper Chesapeake Health (UM UCH) offers a reduced-dose lung cancer screening program that evaluates those considered at high risk for developing lung cancer from smoking.
- This non-invasive, CT scan uses about 25% of the radiation exposure of a regular CT scan and take 15 minutes to complete.
Screening candidates include those who:
- Ages 50-80
- AND currently smoke or have quit less than 15 years ago,
- AND have smoked for a TOTAL of 20 pack-years (pack-years = number of packs of cigarettes smoked per day multiplied by TOTAL number of years smoking)
- Have no symptoms and have no history of lung cancer
You may sign up for a screening, with a physician referral, at Advance Radiology on Plumtree Road in Bel Air.
For more information on our lung cancer screening program call 443-843-LUNG.
Lung Nodule Clinic
The Kaufman Cancer Center is a Lung Cancer Alliance Center for Excellence and offers two advances for lung nodules using imaging technology:
- Endobronchial Ultrasound (EBUS): An examination of the lymph nodes and other structures in the center of the chest.
- Electromagnetic Navigation Bronchoscopy (ENB): Pictures from a CT scan and GPS-like technology that create a map to navigate the nodule and provide the best approach for treatment.
Lung Cancer Treatment Program
Our Multidisciplinary Lung Cancer Clinic includes specialists who will discuss and create a comprehensive treatment plan that is right for you. Our thoracic surgery team specializes in the surgical treatment of lung cancer and disorders of the chest, particularly the lungs and esophagus, and patients can feel confident that their care plan has been developed and reviewed by multiple experts. For more information call 443-643-3233.