At University of Maryland Upper Chesapeake Health (UM UCH), patients and their loved ones can call on chaplains from our Spiritual Care Team 24 hours a day.
How to Reach a Chaplain
If you have an immediate need for a chaplain, ask the nurse to call the chaplain on call. For a non-urgent matter, call 443-643-1375. We are here if you wish to connect with someone who can listen with empathy and support to your concerns and spiritual needs.
Spiritual Care Services
Our team tends to the spiritual needs of patients, families, visitors and UCH team members — regardless of age, race, ethnic background, culture, linguistic competence, gender,
sexual orientation, sexual identification, spiritual preferences, religious affiliation, belief or practices, disability, geographic location or socioeconomic status. In short, all are welcome.
Spiritual Care Services offers a variety of support and services:
- Active listening, comfort, blessings and prayer
- Spiritual and emotional support in times of crisis, despair, suffering or distress
- Exploration of meaning and purpose
- Religious sacraments, ritual observances
- Presence to the dying and their loved ones
- Notification of your spiritual leader or clergy of your hospitalization or to arrange a visit
- Information about community resources
- Religious articles, devotional literature, and sacred scripture; Bibles, Qur’ans
- Religious or spiritual services and memorials
- Spiritual, religious and faith-based guidance and education
- Ethics consultation
- Pastoral and spiritual counseling
Our Sacred Spaces
Our chapels are always open.
• UM Upper Chesapeake Medical Center’s chapel is on the first floor by the elevators.
• UM Harford Memorial Hospital’s chapel is on the first floor by the gift shop.
At both locations, you will find devotional booklets, scriptures from various traditions and CareNotes, which are easy-to-read support booklets for people dealing with intensely emotional situations.
At UM UCH, near the chapel, you will find an outdoor Meditation Garden that is open daily from 7 am to 7 pm.