Lung and Thoracic Cancer
Call for appointment:410-553-8150 410-553-8150
UM BWMC's Thoracic Surgery Program diagnoses and treats cancers of the chest, as well as related conditions and diseases. Our multidisciplinary team, which includes surgeons, pulmonary specialists, interventional radiologists, radiation and medical oncologists and pathologists, collaborate to manage primary and secondary thoracic malignancies. These malignancies include those of the lungs, esophagus, trachea, chest wall, mediastinum and bronchial systems.
Our team diagnoses and treats cancers using a wide range of technologies and procedures. Wherever possible, our surgeons will offer minimally invasive approaches, including robotic-assisted surgery, involving smaller incisions and quicker recoveries. This allows our patients to move more quickly onto coordinated follow-up treatments, such as chemotherapy and radiation.
- Lung cancer
- Esophageal cancer
- Tracheal and bronchial tumors
- Chest wall tumors
- Mediastinal tumors
- Pulmonary nodules
- Metastatic diseases of the chest
Our Procedures and Technologies For Treatment
- Endobronchial Ultrasound (EBUS)
- Video-Assisted Thoracoscopic (VATS) lobectomy
- Complex esophageal resection and esophagectomies
- Laparoscopic procedures
- Lung-sparing resections
- Chest wall reconstruction
- Radiofrequency ablation
- Positron Emission Tomography (PET) scan
- Diagnostic Computed Tomography (CT) and Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
- Stereotactic body radiosurgery
- Radiation therapy
- Complex chemotherapy of conditions of the lungs, chest wall, and diaphragm.
Lung Screening Program
Learn more about our lung screening program to determine if you should be screened for lung cancer.