Call for appointment:410-553-8160 410-553-8160
Neurology deals with the brain, spinal cord, central nervous system, peripherals and muscles. Neurological disorders occur when there is a structural, biochemical or electrical problem in the nervous system. When this happens, there are a range of different symptoms you may experience.
When the brain is healthy, it functions automatically and quickly. But when a neurological disorder develops, it can affect your intelligence, memory, senses, body movement or behavior. Many of these symptoms can severely impact your quality of life, so it’s critical to seek the help of a neurologist when you notice unusual changes.
UM BWMC's neurologists specialize in diagnosing and treating:
- Stroke - caused by a clot or rupture in a blood vessel that prevents the flow of blood to the brain
- Epilepsy - brain condition that causes seizures
- Movement disorders - disruptions in voluntary or involuntary body movements
- Neuromuscular diseases - conditions that affect the muscles and their nervous system control
- Dementia - impairment of the brain functions, such as judgment and memory loss
- Seizures - changes in the brain's electrical activity that causes abnormal behavior and movement
- Multiple sclerosis - a disease in which the immune system attacks the protective covering of nerves
When surgical intervention is required to treat neurological disorders, our team of neurosurgeons and specialists at the UM Baltimore Washington Spine and Neuroscience Center offer complex neurosurgical care right here in our medical center.
UM Baltimore Washington Medical Center is a Certified Primary Stroke Center, so we partner with Emergency Medical Services (EMS) personnel to provide life-saving treatment to patients who experience a stroke. As part of our commitment to stroke patients and survivors, we also offer several outreach programs to support the recovery process.