Only one acute-care hospital in Anne Arundel County offers a full range of intensive mental health services for adult patients: University of Maryland Baltimore Washington Medical Center. UM BWMC is proud to offer both inpatient and outpatient behavioral health programs aimed at providing a structured therapeutic environment for adults at least 18 years of age.
We care for patients who have bipolar disorder, depression, anxiety disorders, suicidal thoughts or behavior, substance abuse problems, borderline personality disorder, posttraumatic stress disorder, schizophrenia, psychiatric crises and other behavioral health conditions and co-occurring disorders. UM BWMC strives to provide individualized treatment, promote healthy coping skills and instill hope and confidence our patients need to thrive at home and in the community. Our individual and group psychoeducational services involve psychotherapy, community reintegration, medication stabilization and family consultation and education services.
Our interdisciplinary team of psychiatrists, registered nurses, patient care technicians, occupational therapists and social workers develop treatment plans that are individualized for a patient's specific needs. We provide referrals to private-practice psychiatrists, therapists and other community support services to ensure a patient's continued wellness.
Specialized Psychiatric Care
Our areas of specialized psychiatric care include:
- Inpatient psychiatric care – a secure nursing unit that provides short term acute care, overnight medical treatment and therapy to patients who need life-saving care for their behavioral health condition.
- Emergency department consults – our emergency physicians, mental health clinicians and psychiatrists collaborate to evaluate patients who arrive in a behavioral health emergency or crisis status as a result of mental illnesses and/or substance abuse disorders. Our dedicated behavioral health area in the ED provides a safe and reassuring environment.
- Patient consultations on our medical nursing units – our inpatient physicians and psychiatrists collaborate to consult with a patient who may be experiencing a co-occurring mental health disorder.
- Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP) – a partial hospital program that runs Monday-Friday and is designed for patients discharged from the in-patient unit who require additional mental health treatment. Patients receive medical and therapeutic care from a team of UM BWMC health professionals, including a social worker, occupational therapist, nurses and a psychiatrist.
- Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP) – an intensive daytime treatment program that runs three days per week (Monday-Friday) and is designed for mental health patients, as a step down from PHP, who require additional treatment. Patients receive medical and therapeutic care from a team of UM BWMC health professionals, including a social worker, occupational therapist, nurses and a psychiatrist.
Contact the Psychiatry Department at UM BWMC: