Call for appointment:240-677-1293 240-677-1293
At UM Capital Region Health, we are committed to helping you be successful at breastfeeding.
Our International Board Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLCs) provide individualized care to both mom and baby.
Breastfeeding Benefits Mom and Baby
Benefits for Mom
- Free and convenient
- Burns about 500 calories a day to build and maintain a milk supply
- May reduce the risk of heart disease and osteoporosis
Benefits for Baby
- Easy to digest and packed with nutrients and vitamins
- Protects against infections and viruses, including the flu
- Decreases the risk of gastrointestinal problems, ear infections, allergies, asthma, obesity and risk of type 2 diabetes
- May protect against sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS)
Getting the Best Start with Breastfeeding
During your stay, our team of nurses, location consultants and pediatricians work together to review and develop feeding plans, giving special attention to those experiencing challenges.
Breastfeeding can be difficult for new moms, but babies are good at communicating when they are hungry. Our team will help you learn your baby's cues and how to be successful on this journey.
Breastfeeding Support Classes
We provide community breastfeeding support classes to parents both before and after birth.