Women's Health and Specialty Services
When you choose University of Maryland Capital Region Health, you gain a support team for life.
Our women’s health specialists provide high-quality medical care and work with you to ensure that any non-medical needs are addressed.
We want you to achieve the best health outcomes possible for you and your family, and we are committed to improving the health of women in Prince Georges County.
Our patient-centered philosophy means we are sending more doctors, nurses and midwives into the community so you can more easily receive care close to where you live.
We specialize in:
- Prenatal care: Our maternal-child health experts care for you and your baby throughout your pregnancy.
- Nurse midwifery: Our nurse midwives provide support and care throughout your pregnancy, during delivery and after you give birth in our home-like birth center.
- High-risk pregnancies: Our doctors and nurse midwives are experts in managing pregnancies complicated by medical or obstetric conditions, or multiple babies.
- Intrauterine intravascular fetal transfusion: If you and your fetus have incompatible blood types, this procedure replaces fetal red blood cells being destroyed by the maternal immune system.
- Labor and delivery: We provide family-centered labor, delivery and postpartum rooms, and excellent care from obstetricians and nurse midwives for your baby’s birth.
- High-risk deliveries: Our physicians are experts in safely delivering babies with complex pregnancies and those that require a cesarean section birth. Our neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) is always available to care for premature babies and newborns who need extra attention.
- Water birth: If you choose, you can deliver your baby with a water birth at our birth center.
- Breastfeeding support: Our lactation consultants work with you and your baby to achieve breastfeeding success.
- Minimally invasive gynecologic procedures: Our doctors treat gynecological and uro-gynecological conditions without the need for major surgery.
If needed, our specialized doctors and nurses also provide care and referrals for gynecologic oncology, reproductive oncology and fertility issues.
Life-long Care: Prenatal to Postmenopausal
Whether you are preparing for the birth of a baby or dealing with the hormonal changes of menopause, we provide comprehensive medical care for every stage of your life at UM Capital.
Our team of women’s health specialists and certified nurse midwives provides a full range of gynecologic care, from reproductive to postmenopausal age. Our specialty services include maternal-fetal medicine and urogynecology – including minimally invasive techniques – to treat gynecologic, bladder and urinary track conditions.
We understand that your well-being is not limited to gynecologic issues. We use a multidisciplinary approach to manage your specific conditions beyond reproductive health, including:
- Autoimmune disease
- Cervical and breast cancers
- Heart and vascular disease
- Smoking cessation
Our women’s health experts work together with cardiologists, rheumatologists, endocrinologists, oncologists and community partners to bring women’s health services close to home and help you live the best life possible.
Women’s Health Conditions We Treat
You can receive care for a wide range of women’s health conditions, such as:
- Bladder disorders
- Cervical insufficiency
- Ectopic pregnancy
- Fetal anomalies
- High-risk pregnancies, medical complications
- High-risk pregnancies, obstetric complications
- Labor and Delivery
- Multiple babies
- Ovarian cysts
- Pelvic floor issues
- Pelvic pain
- Prenatal care
- Preterm labor or birth
- Rh sensitization
- Sickle cell disease
- Urinary track disorders
- Uterine fibroids
- Uterine prolapse
- Vaginal anatomic disorders
- Vaginal prolapse