Mother and Baby Health Care Specialists
The Pascal Women's Center is made up of a team of experienced and compassionate care givers. To ensure a healthy and safe birth, you will have many members of your health care team to support you during your stay, including:
- Nurse - Our registered nurses are there for you and your baby whenever you may need assistance. They are trained in the care of obstetric and newborn patients. Many nurses have certifications and advanced training for the care you may need. They wear cranberry colored uniforms so you can easily identify them.
- Midwife - Certified nurse midwives are advanced practice registered nurses who provide counseling, support and assistance before, during and after childbirth. Midwives are trained and licensed in both nursing and midwifery. Our nurse midwives have Masters of Science degrees and are certified by the American College of Nurse Midwives.
- Obstetrician - Our obstetricians are medical doctors who specialize in obstetrics and gynecology. They are specifically trained to care for women with more complex medical conditions during pregnancy, labor and delivery, and who may be considered low or "high-risk."
- Anesthesiologist - Our anesthesiologists are board certified physicians who specialize in administering anesthesia and medical pain relief as an option to safely control pain during childbirth.
- Laborist - A laborist is a board certified OB/GYN who is available in the hospital at all times to care for women in labor. The laborists at UM BWMC work with your personal obstetrician at their request.
- Pediatrician - Our pediatricians are board certified doctors who specialize in caring for babies, infants and children. They provide thorough care for your baby during your stay and make sure you are informed and know your baby's unique needs.
- Neonatologist - Our neonatologist provides comprehensive care for critically ill premature and full-term infants from the time they are born until they are discharged from the hospital.
- Lactation Consultant - Our lactation consultant provides education, support and guidance to support your decision to breastfeed. We also have a dedicated lactation phone line if you need assistance breastfeeding when you are home (410-595-1782). We follow the Maryland Hospital Breastfeeding Policy Recommendations.