When to Call
Our specialists and staff are here to help you with any situation that comes up during your pregnancy. Here are guidelines of when you may need to call us, but if have any doubt, just call.
Call our office at 410-553-8260 during normal business hours, 8 am to 4 pm, to speak to the nurse or leave a message for your doctor or midwife for:
- Minor illness such as a head cold
- Vaginal infection
- Questions about your pregnancy
- Prescription refills
Test results will be discussed at your next scheduled visit. If there is a need to discuss your results prior to your next appointment, our medical staff will contact you promptly by telephone.
Urgent Medical Issues
A midwife or doctor is always available to you by telephone. Please call 410-553-8260 immediately if you are experiencing one of the following:
- Your baby is not moving
- Vaginal bleeding
- Severe abdominal pain not relieved by rest or change in position
- Vomiting so severe you have not been able to keep water down for a whole day
- More than 5-6 rhythmic contractions per hour more than 3 weeks before your due date
- Sudden severe swelling, especially in your face
- Severe headache that does not get better with rest, drinking water or acetaminophen
- A gush of fluid from your vagina
If you are in labor or have an urgent problem, call us right away no matter what time of day or night. After 4 pm, you will reach the UM BWMC answering service. They will take your information and call your doctor or midwife. Please be sure to tell them if you are a doctor or midwife patient so that the appropriate person will call you call back.
Someone should call you back within 15 minutes. If you do not receive a call back, please call again.
If you do not receive a call within 30 minutes of your initial call, call labor and delivery at 410-595-1785. It is possible your doctor or midwife is delivering another patient's baby, thus unable to return your call promptly.