Call for appointment:410-553-2932 410-553-2932
Pulmonary rehabilitation is a medically based exercise and education program designed for patients with chronic lung conditions.
Participants are guided through an eight-week program designed to teach safe exercise principles with an emphasis on decreasing symptoms of shortness of breath and developing strategies for an active lifestyle.
People with the following medical conditions are appropriate candidates for pulmonary rehab:
- COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), emphysema or chronic bronchitis
- Persistent asthma
- Pulmonary fibrosis
- Sarcoidosis or scleroderma
- Lung cancer
- Lung transplant
The UM BWMC Pulmonary Rehab program helps patients to:
- Increase exercise endurance
- Decrease respiratory symptoms (shortness of breath and fatigue)
- Increase knowledge of disease process to assist with self management
- Improve ability to perform self care activities as well as household tasks
- Improve quality of life
- Decrease anxiety and depression associated with chronic conditions
- Decrease progression of symptoms, reduce possibility for repeat hospitalizations
- Facilitate return to work or leisure activities
The Pulmonary Rehabilitation program at UM BWMC has been in existence for over 30 years and is certified by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (ACCVPR).
To contact Pulmonary Rehab and make an appointment, call 410-553-2932.