Application Process - Internal Medicine Pediatrics Residency
Applications to the Internal Medicine/Pediatrics residency at the University of Maryland are only accepted through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). Our program offers four positions each year through the National Residency Matching Program.
Inquiries can be sent via e-mail to our program coordinator, Karen Webster, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by calling 410-328-5213.
The following materials should be submitted through ERAS no later than January 15:
- ERAS application
- Curriculum vitae (ERAS format is acceptable)
- Personal statement
- Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE) or "Dean's Letter"
- Three or four letters of recommendations, preferably at least one from a Department of Medicine faculty member and one from a Department of Pediatrics faculty member. We do not require any letters from Department Chairs. We understand that the Covid-19 pandemic has dramatically affected clinical rotations and not all applicants will have letters from faculty in both departments. We look forward to reading letters from faculty who know you best.
- Medical school transcript
- USMLE Step 1
- USMLE Step 2, when available
- Your e-mail address
If you are an Osteopathic Medical Student, we require USMLE Step 1 scores to be considered for an interview. USMLE Step 2 scores should be submitted if available. COMLEX alone does not meet this requirement.
If you are an International Medical Graduate, please review the requirements listed on the Application Process for the Internal Medicine Residency.
Upon reviewing the above materials, you will receive an e-mail informing you if an interview has been granted. Our Med/Peds program offers rolling interviews on Tuesdays and Thursdays starting in early November, and concluding in early January. The agenda is integrated with parts from both Medicine and Pediatrics to give the applicants a good feel for both departments, and the day is highlighted by having lunch with the Med/Peds residents. We also highly encourage applicants to attend an event with the Med/Peds residents the night before the interview day.
Correspondence and scheduling of interviews are handled through Interview Broker.
IMPORTANT: After applying to our program, please check your e-mail frequently. Invitations, confirmation of your interview, and other correspondence will be sent ONLY via e-mail.
More detailed information on the application process for both departments can be found at the following links: