Application Process - Internal Medicine Residency
Applications for all tracks are only accepted through ERAS.
All positions are only offered through the National Residency Matching Program (NRMP).
- Categorical Internal Medicine
- 1252140C0 Categorical Internal Medicine (3 years)
- 1252140C1 ABIM Research Pathway (2 years of Internal Medicine + 3-4 years Fellowship training). Supplemental Application required for this track.
- 1252140C2 Categorical International Scholars Track (3 years). Only for candidates supported by SACM (Saudi Arabian Cultural Mission)
- Preliminary Internal Medicine (1 year tracks)
- 1252140P0 Preliminary Internal Medicine
- 1252140P2 Preliminary International Scholars Track. Only for candidates supported by SACM (Saudi Arabian Cultural Mission)
- Medicine-Pediatrics (4 years): 1252700C0
- Internal Medicine-Emergency Medicine (5 years): 1252705C0
The following materials must be submitted through ERAS no later than December 20. See specific instructions for each track below.
- ERAS application
- Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE)
- 2 letters of recommendation, including the Chair (or designee) of the Department of Medicine. It is suggested that applicants for the Preliminary Track have at least 1 Medicine letter from either the Chair (or designee) or a Medicine faculty member.
- Medical school transcript
- USMLE Step 1
- USMLE Step 2 CK must be received no later than January 30. Step 2 CS is not required.
- Personal statement
- Supplemental application (only required for ABIM Research Pathway, see link to supplemental application below)
For other correspondence, you can reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org or:
Susan D. Wolfsthal, M.D.
Residency Program Director
Department of Medicine
University of Maryland
22 South Greene Street
Baltimore, MD 21201-1595
IMPORTANT: Invitation, confirmation of your interview and other correspondence will be sent via email. After your interview, please do not send a "routine" thank you note or email. We are unable to respond to these notes. We welcome your correspondence if you have a specific question about our training program.
If you are applying to the:
- Categorical or preliminary medicine programs, please follow the above instructions.
- ABIM Research Pathway for those seeking a career as a physician scientist
- Include a letter from your research mentor as one of your letters of recommendation in ERAS.
- Complete a Supplemental Application to elaborate on your research interests
- International Scholars tracks (categorical or preliminary)
- SACM only
- Only candidates supported by SACM (Saudi Arabian Cultural Mission) are eligible for these tracks. All others will be rejected.
- Include all items in ERAS application as listed above.
- Send a PDF documenting your SACM support through ERAS. Required for all interviews.
- Med-Peds program: Please follow the instructions under Med-Peds.
- EMIM program: Please follow the instructions under EMIM.
- Preliminary medicine program at Mercy Medical Center (our community affiliate), you must send them a separate ERAS application. See Mercy Medical Center for more information.
- Neurology program at the University of Maryland. We no longer offer a preliminary-neurology track. Neurology is now a categorical program only. Please check the Neurology Residency.
Visa requirements, international graduates and osteopathic students
The University of Maryland Medical Center only accepts a J-1 visa for residency training.
- H1B and F1 visas are not accepted.
- Sponsorship guidelines require all applicants accepted into the program to convert to a J1 visa prior to starting their training with UMMC.
If you are an International Medical Graduate, please note the following requirements. Further information about visas is available on our GME web site.
- Available tracks. You may apply to the categorical or preliminary track. Do not apply for the International Scholars track. This is only for candidates sponsored by SACM (Saudi Arabian Cultural Mission). All others will be rejected.
- Valid ECFMG certificate, including successful completion of the CSA. The ECFMG certificate must be secured prior to June 1.
- J-1 visa. The University of Maryland Medical Center (UMMC) adheres to the standards and guidelines for the employment of non-immigrants as established by federal immigration laws and the U.S. Department of Labor. UMMC will hire only U.S. citizens and non-citizens who are authorized for employment. Non-immigrant alien residents or fellows will be sponsored under the J-1 visas program. H-1B and F1 visas are not considered appropriate visas for residents or fellows.
- 2 months of active US clinical experience. Clinical observerships do not fulfill this requirement.
- USMLE scores. Although specific minimum USMLE scores are not required, it is highly desirable to have USMLE scores over 225 (step 1) and 235 (step 2). Applicants who have failed any USMLE step will not be granted interviews.
If you are an Osteopathic Medical Student, we require USMLE Step 1 scores to be considered for an interview. USMLE Step 2 CK scores must transmitted to ERAS no later than January 30. COMLEX alone does not meet this requirement.
For applicants with questions about disabilities and similar issues, please see the GME Technical Standards Policy.