Volunteer at UMMC
For Volunteer Info:410-328-5600 410-328-5600
At a research and teaching facility like ours, volunteers can learn a great deal from our health care professionals. That is why they come to us from all walks of life seeking unique educational and professional experiences.
We work carefully with our volunteers to match their interests and talents with the needs that exist throughout the hospital.
We offer year-round volunteer programs for students, those exploring their career options and for anyone seeking the satisfaction that comes from helping others.
In addition to attracting volunteers from throughout the Baltimore area and beyond, many of our own University of Maryland employees apply for volunteer positions at the Medical Center to develop new skills in new areas.
Along with positions that involve direct health care, we have opportunities in the clerical, reception and transportation fields. Below is a list of some of the areas where our volunteers are currently working:
- Emergency Department
- Shock Trauma Center
- Medical Records Department
- Dental Clinic
- Psychiatry Department
- Guest Information Desk
- Patient Transport Services
- Flower Delivery Services
Placements are also available in other areas, so please contact us to discuss further options.
Complete the volunteer application, health clearance form, background investigation form and parental consent form and turn them in along with your childhood immunization or titer to the volunteer office. Volunteers must also adhere to the requirements described by the UMMC Behavioral Standards, Dress Code and Confidentiality statement
Our office fax number is 410-328-2924. Once you have completed the necessary paperwork, return it to the volunteer office and call 410-328-5600 to schedule your interview.
- You must be at least 16 years of age to volunteer at UMMC.
- There is no ceiling or maximum number of hours you can work as a volunteer, but we ask for a minimum commitment of four hours a week during a regular time slot.
- In order to get an evaluation, certificate or letter of recommendation, you must complete at least 75 hours of volunteer service in one department.
- The 75 hours of service must be completed consecutively from the start date. Regular attendance ensures that volunteers get fully trained and get to know the staff that they work with. It also enhances the volunteer experience and enables volunteers to make a real contribution to their unit or department.
Our volunteer services office is in room GS101, which is at 29. South Greene Street in downtown Baltimore. Volunteers will be provided free parking in the Baltimore Grand Garage at 5 N. Paca Street. We will validate the tickets for this garage only.
We are open Mon-Fri 9 am to 4 pm for volunteer processing.
Our office is closed daily for lunch from 12 pm to 1 pm
Call us at 410-328-5600 for more information.