History and Mission - Internal Medicine Pediatrics Residency
A four-year combined training program in Medicine and Pediatrics started at the University of Maryland in July 1994 with the recruitment of the first two residents. Our program is now comprised of 16 residents, a large group of core faculty, many dedicated Med-Peds community continuity clinics, electives and conferences.
We are also the recipients of our second consecutive nationally competitive training grant designated to enhance the education of our Med-Peds residents in managed care, caring for the underserved, cultural diversity and evidence-based medicine.
The Med-Peds residents have a unique identity that sets them apart from the categorical pediatric and medicine residents, yet they are welcomed as equals when rotating in either discipline. The Med-Peds residents maintain a strong sense of identity through frequent interaction during rotations, weekly meetings, numerous social outings and through close mentorship with Med-Peds trained physicians. The Med-Peds identity is continually growing with the ongoing recruitment of new faculty members.
The University of Maryland Internal Medicine and Pediatrics Program will develop competent, compassionate and well-rounded physicians who will serve their patients with high-quality, evidenced based care in any career path they choose. Our residents will exhibit kindness and excellence in all aspects of their training. We will recruit and develop faculty members who are exemplary role models and teachers for our residents.
The University of Maryland Med-Peds Mission Statement is supported by the following program goals:
- Clinical care: Our residents will deliver state of the art, high-quality, evidence-based care to our patients through our rigorous clinical experiences in both departments.
- Mentorship: Our residents will receive thoughtful, supportive and in-depth mentorship during every part of their residency journey, enabling them to pursue any career goal.
- Leadership: We are committed to developing the Med-Peds leaders of tomorrow by empowering our residents to take on leadership roles within our institution.
- Community: We strive to remain actively engaged in our community as advocates for improved health and well-being that expands beyond our offices and hospitals.
- Diversity: We actively promote and support diversity amongst our residents, faculty and community.
- Wellness: We strive to create a program and working environment that promotes wellness and resiliency, and we strive for ongoing improvement based on feedback from our residents.
- Research: We provide opportunities for cutting-edge research aligned with a broad range of career goals.