Nurse Residency Program
The Nurse Residency Program at University of Maryland Baltimore Washington Medical Center (Passport to Practice) has been developed in collaboration with Vizient, the Maryland Nurse Residency Collaborative, and the American Association of Colleges of Nursing. The Nurse Residency Program supports new nurse graduates by building on the knowledge and skills obtained in their nursing undergraduate program, thereby transitioning them into their professional roles.
Built on an evidence-based curriculum developed by experts from academic medical centers and nursing schools across the country, the program supports the novice nurse with a comprehensive 12-month program that focuses on three critical areas: leadership, patient outcomes, and professional role. Specifically, the curriculum offers a series of classroom and clinical experiences designed to successfully transition the new graduate nurse from Beginner (Clinical Nurse I) to Advanced Beginner (Clinical Nurse II), and onward to leaders at the point of care (Senior Clinical Nurse I and II).
In addition to guided clinical experience, each residency cohort will meet monthly for continuing education seminars ranging in topics from critical thinking to communication, complete an evidence-based practice project, and develop a professional portfolio.
Benefits of Participating in Passport to Practice
- Promotes peer and professional socialization
- Participation in seminars led by content experts
- Consistent, year-long support from UM BWMC leadership
- Formal orientation with a preceptor ranging from 8 weeks to 6 months depending upon unit placement
Nurse Residency Candidate Requirements
- New graduate nurses with less than one year of experience
- Obtain a MBON license number by the designated residency start date. Some cohorts offer an early start date that allows the graduate nurse to join the program pre-licensed.
Nurse Residency Program Applications
To view current openings, please visit our website ummsnewgrads.com.
Questions regarding hiring, positions, requirements, or application process should be directed to: Human Resources at 410-787-4945 or emailed to HR_Coordinators_BWMC@umm.edu.