Nursing Jobs: Why Work at UMMC
As a nurse at Magnet-designated University of Maryland Medical Center (UMMC), you are an integral member of a collaborative team. We reward your achievements and encourage advancement of your career, putting you on the fast track to your goals.
Across the many nursing specialty areas at our academic medical center — comprising our 789-bed downtown Baltimore campus and nearby 177-bed Midtown campus — we support one other each step of the way.
Our nurse-to-patient ratios allow us to achieve better outcomes and more closely bond with patients and families.
Work at a Magnet Hospital
The UMMC – Downtown Campus earned its third consecutive Magnet designation in 2019, the highest honor awarded by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) for nursing excellence. We will be applying for our fourth Magnet designation in 2023 as one nursing department across our Downtown Campus and Midtown Campus.
Why Work Here
In addition to a supportive environment that prioritizes your growth and work-life balance, UMMC offers:
- A comprehensive benefits package (health, vision, and dental coverage, along with tax-free savings plans and more)
- A highly competitive wage scale (annual merit increases and a base wage scale measured against market standards)
- Tuition reimbursement of up to $10,000 per year toward your graduate degree from the University of Maryland School of Nursing
Find Nursing Jobs at:
Advance Your Career at UMMC
Through mentoring and education programs and with career mapping resources, we guide your novice-to-expert growth as a clinical nurse. Our robust shared governance structure empowers all nurses with autonomy and accountability in clinical decision-making, allowing them to lead and participate in decisions at both the organization and unit levels.
- Our Nursing Roadmap offers guidance about anticipated accomplishments and career milestones throughout your career.
- Our Professional Advancement Model (PAM) encourages all nurses to practice to the highest level and develop into experienced practitioners.
- For new graduate nurses, UMMC offers a 12-month Nurse Residency Program designed to prepare you for success well beyond your first year as a nurse, building on the knowledge and skills honed in your previous undergraduate programs and during your unit-based individualized orientation.
Array of Nursing Clinical Specialties
Nurses at the Downtown and Midtown campuses function seamlessly as one team. We offer opportunities in a range of specialties across both campuses, including:
- Emergency Department
- Oncology (NCI Designated Comprehensive Cancer Center)
- Trauma (Primary Adult Resource Center for the State of Maryland – Level 1 Trauma Center)
- Women’s and Children’s (Level IV NICU)