Nurse Residency Program
At UMMC, there is a commitment to advancing the practice of nursing, In turn, the hope is that these efforts inspire new graduate nurses to draw on strengths never imagined. You will find UMMC has the dynamic, cutting-edge environment needed to excel. UMMC is familiar with the needs and difficulties faced by new graduate nurses as they undergo role transition in their first year of practice. As a result, the 12-month Nurse Residency Program (NRP) is designed to build upon knowledge and skills obtained in previous undergraduate learning and during your unit based individualized orientation.
Along with an academic partner of University of Maryland School of Nursing, the mission of the program is to provide the next generation of new nurses an additional layer of support to further cultivate the soft skills (those not part of the technical skills received within unit based orientation and training), needed to achieve a successful transition into nursing practice.
The employee-based nurse residency program at UMMC is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education and structured according to the guidelines and recommendations provided by the Vizient/AACN Nurse Residency Program™.
Benefits of the program include but are not limited to:
- 1:1 unit-based orientation providing education and peer support
- Monthly cohort educational sessions
- Mentorship with a small group resident facilitator to help identify and achieve short- and long-term goals on your journey to becoming a confident, professional nurse
- Evolution of effective clinical judgment and critical thinking skills
- Success of evidence based practice skills to empower new graduate nurses to improve nursing practice
- Education to embrace a healthy work environment that promotes teamwork and collaboration
- Development of communication skills to navigate professional interactions with patients, families, peers and colleagues to promote the safest and most effective patient care.
- Participation in program evaluation surveys at hire, 6 months, and 12 months
The Nurse Residency program is designed to provide tools to succeed up through and well beyond your first year as a nurse. This program will give knowledge needed to advance careers within the organization. UMMC also invests in professional growth through tuition benefits offerings and is close in proximity to nationally ranked nursing institutions of your choosing.
In addition, because UMMC is located in bustling downtown Baltimore, you'll enjoy a lifestyle rich in its variety of outdoor recreation opportunities, world-class arts and entertainment, sports and more.
If this sounds like the nursing career, and the life you were dreaming of, take your first step. For additional questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.