Resident Credentialing at UMMC
Dear Incoming Intern/Resident/Fellow:
Congratulations on your acceptance into one of the Graduate Medical Education training programs at the University of Maryland Medical Center!
It is our policy at the Medical Center to fully credential all residents and fellows planning to provide patient care in the institution. Your participation in this program and any contractual obligation to employ and train you are contingent upon your successful completion of the credentialing process.
The credentialing application and processing has moved to an electronic format called MD App.
On March 27th (fellows will get their links 3/6/20), you will be issued a link via an email from email@example.com to access the application. It should be noted that if you receive an error stating your “link has expired”, you can have a new link issued immediately to you by going to mdapp.com/umms, choose “Forgot Password”, be sure to use the same email address you received your initial email. Do not click “Request Account”. If you experience any issues creating your login, please contact Bradley Lansinger at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 410-328-7458.
Within the application there are 3 forms that need to be completed and signed, “Documents to Sign”. This process happens through Docu-Sign, a third party application that allows you to electronically sign documents. Complete the forms in the Docu-Sign window, then click finish after all required fields are populated. One of the forms included is an attestation that you have watched the required Prescription Drug Monitoring Program video on YouTube. Because you will not be able to click the link while in the Docu-Sign window, it is suggested that you watch the video prior to completing & signing your documents. The video can be accessed at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRQsZ9bxvoY&t=136s
Once you close the window and return to MD App, you will have an opportunity to view and download copies for your records. Forms will automatically be delivered back to our credentialing database - no need for you to upload or attach.
Files to Upload
There is a section in the electronic application called “Files” to upload electronic copies of the following:
- Government Issued ID (Current Driver’s License or Passport with photo) -- REQUIRED
- Headshot photo (we cannot use your driver’s license photo) this will be used to confirm identity -- REQUIRED
- Current Curriculum Vitae -- REQUIRED
- Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) Certificate, if applicable.
- Malpractice claims history explanation sheet (if applicable-you have been named in a malpractice claim)
Data Entry Tips
- Within the credentialing application, there are fields that allow you to search, such as the name of a university. You may see multiple entries - if you find one that matches what you want, choose it. Otherwise, simply enter the name and address you want.
- Prior Residencies/Fellowship: the system requires a degree awarded, for this field you should choose NA.
- Hospital Affiliation section: enter affiliations outside of your prior training.
- “Documents to Download” section will contain a UMMC Claims History Page to download. If you have any malpractice claims, this is where they should be documented - otherwise it is not necessary to upload this document into the Files section of the application. Once you have filled in the form, save a copy to your desktop for uploading into the Files section of your application.
- 1st Year residents will have no entries in
It should be noted 1st year residents will have no entries in training, insurance, nor hospitals. They will only have an entry for Medical Education. In addition these categories of questions last year caused significant delays in residents completing their applications timely. This was mostly due to their reluctance to answer incorrectly. This will hopefully assist you in answering
If Not Board Certified questions: a category of questions on the electronic application that MUST be completed even if you are already Board Certified, have sat for any part of the exam, or even are not yet eligible. The questions should simply be answered accurately, with a note in the explanation box that simply says “not eligible” or “already certified”, or “beginning residency”. We understand that these questions do not apply to everyone, but because this application auto-populates the Maryland Uniform Credentialing Application every questions must be answered.
Professional Liability Insurance & Continuing Education questions: we understand that many incoming residents (especially 1st year’s) have not yet been covered by malpractice insurance nor had to meet any continuing education requirements. That is fine, the applicant should answer the questions accurately and again simply indicate in the explanation box: “never been professionally licensed” or “currently in training”; “1st year resident”; “not applicable”, etc. Our coordinators will be able to identify someone who needs to answer these questions with appropriate responses & will follow up with anyone who doesn’t answer in a fashion that seems accurate.
On the left side you will see if you have missed a required field by the system showing a red triangle with exclamation:
If you exit the application prior to completion, it will save what you have done. The only point at which you will not be able to edit your application is after you have clicked “Submit Application”.
For questions regarding the content of the application, please call Medical Staff Services at 410-328-2902.
Director, Medical Staff Services