Accelerate our Research and Innovation
We will establish a learning health care system that will accelerate our clinical innovations and research enterprise to magnify our market differentiation nationally.
- Advance discovery of lifesaving medicine by increasing access to and participation in clinical trials.
- Reduce the time from research discovery to bedside care by increasing access to clinical trials in programs such as cancer care, addiction medicine, and xenotransplantation, as well as programs specific to West Baltimore communities like sarcoidosis and sickle cell disease.
- Renew National Institutes of Health (NIH) National Cancer Institute (NCI) comprehensive cancer center designation.
- Grow number of grants, contract revenue and submission rates.
- Recruit prominent physician-scientist thought leaders recognized regionally and nationally for making significant contributions within their specialties.
- Prioritize programs that catapult University of Maryland academic health care partners into the competitive future of Learning Health Care Systems, “smart” hospitals, precision medicine, population health and multi-omics systems biology.
Measure of Success
Reduce time to clinical trial activation from 250 days to fewer than 140 days.