DAISY AT UM Shore Regional Health
Any UM Shore Regional Health or UM Shore Medical Group nurse who has made a special connection with a patient or family can be nominated for the DAISY Award.
UM Shore DAISY Committee members meet monthly to choose an honoree, who receives a surprise visit from Chief Nursing Officer Jenny Bowie, a special treat and prizes.
About the DAISY Award
The DAISY Award for Extraordinary Nurses honors the memory of J. Patrick Barnes, who died at age 33 of immune thrombocytopenia (ITP), an auto-immune disease. His family, profoundly impressed by the clinical skills and compassion of the nurses who cared for Patrick, created this international award to show gratitude for nurses everywhere.
Anyone can nominate a UM Shore Regional Health nurse for the DAISY Award, including patients, families, and fellow nurses and health care providers. Complete the nomination form online at or pick up a paper copy of the form at the nurses’ stations.
Monthly UM Shore DAISY Winner
Stephanie Saffran, RN (May 2023 DAISY Honoree)
Congratulations to Stephanie Saffran, RN (ICU), the May 2023 recipient of the UM Shore Regional Health DAISY Award. Stephanie was nominated by a family member of a critically ill patient in the ICU.
"Stephanie was so wonderful to both me and my father throughout his stay in the ICU," the nomination read. "Her medical knowledge and skill were apparent from the start, and I immediately felt comfortable that my father was in the best hands possible. Stephanie always took the time to talk to my dad and explain everything that she was doing, even though he was non-responsive. She also checked in with me to see how I was doing. Stephanie listened to my concerns regarding my father and she followed up appropriately. It was easier to leave my dad in the ICU knowing that he was in such competent hands."
As part of winning the DAISY award, Stephanie will be nationally recognized on the DAISY website. She also received a certificate, a DAISY pin and a "Healer's Touch" Statue. As tradition holds, she and her team were also treated to cinnamon rolls.
Past DAISY Winners
2023 DAISY Nurses
- January – Shannon Temple, BSN, RN, FNE A/P (Forensic Nurse Coordinator)
- February – Leigh Mingos, RN, staff nurse (Cancer Center)
- March – Debra Van Dyke, MSN, RN (Behavioral Health)
- April – Ashley Diem, RN (Telemetry)
2022 DAISY Nurses
- April – Nicole Coleman, RN/BSN (UM Shore Medical Center at Easton ICU)
- May – Tom Bush, RN (staff nurse, Perioperative Services, UM Shore Medical Center at Easton)
- June – Jennifer Owens, RN (staff nurse, UM Shore Medical Center at Easton - Birthing Center)
- July – Shannon Benson, RN (staff nurse, UM Shore Medical Center at Easton - Birthing Center)
- August – Kristi Tucker, RN (staff nurse, UM Shore Medical Center at Easton - Birthing Center)
- September – Haley Setter, RN (staff nurse, UM Shore Medical Center at Easton – Birthing Center)
- October – Steve Pringle, RN (staff nurse, UM Shore Emergency Center at Queenstown)
- November – Kristen Wilczenski, RN (staff nurse, UM Shore Medical Center at Easton, 2 East/Medical Surgical Unit)
- December – Jacqueline Groz, RN, staff nurse, UM Shore Medical Center at Easton – Birthing Center