Psychiatric Unit Patient & Visitor Information
Call for appointment:410-328-6231 410-328-6231
When we redesigned our inpatient unit at UMMC Midtown, we chose to use aesthetics as a form of therapy. Every patient room is private and has a unique, hand-painted mural.
During a patient's stay, we provide access to support groups and other types of therapeutic care, including:
- Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous and other chemical dependency services
- Coping skills, relapse prevention, goal setting, personal counseling and life skills services
- Arts and crafts, music relaxation and orientation therapy
What to Bring
Please do not bring more than three sets of clothing during your stay. All personal items must be searched and inventoried by our staff. Lockers are provided for the safekeeping of each patient's belongings.
Please do not bring the following items into the unit:
- Food, beverages or alcohol
- Cigarettes, matches and lighters
- Belts and clothing with strings or hoods
- Medications or other personal products (soap, shampoo, etc.)
- Weapons of any type, including knives
- Magazines of a violent or sexual nature
Visiting hours are:
- Monday - Friday: 1-2 pm and 6-8 pm
- Weekends and holidays: 1-3 pm
Visitors check-in at the information desk in the main lobby and then got to the sixth floor. Once there, someone from security will greet them and take them through the mandatory safety processes, including wanding with a metal detector.
- Patients may have up to two visitors at a time.
- Visitors must be 12 years of age or older, and minors must be accompanied by an adult.
- No outside food permitted for patients or visitors
- Visitors' belongings (including purses, bags, coats, hats, scarves, cell phones, keys, etc.) will be placed into individual lockers for the duration of the visit and are not allowed on the unit — with no exceptions
- Any items (clothing, footwear, hygiene supplies, etc.) brought in for patients must be checked by clinical staff. Some items require special permission from the patients' physician.
- Visits are at the discretion of the treatment team. Visiting outside of established visiting hours is only allowed for special circumstances and after approval by the attending physician.
More Information & Referrals
For more information about the inpatient unit, please call 410-225-8155.
Healthcare professionals can make referrals 24 hours a day by calling 410-328-6231.