The University of Maryland Baltimore Washington Medical Center (UM BWMC) has a thriving Volunteer Program that is service-based and dedicates hours to many of the departments within the hospital. The Volunteer Program has been supporting the patients, families and associates of UM BWMC since the medical center opened in 1965. Volunteering allows community members to give back in a meaningful way that impacts the quality of care we provide at UM BWMC. Our volunteers are vital to our mission!
Opportunities are available for anyone 16 years of age and older. Volunteers enjoy a variety of responsibilities depending on which department they are matched with. Duties range from administrative tasks, helping people find their way, greeting patients, visiting with patients, stocking supplies and family nourishment areas, registering people at community events, putting together informational packets for patients and families, providing comfort items to patients, preparing rooms for events, retrieving wheelchairs, distributing wristbands, and much more. What do our volunteers get out of the program? Some of the benefits include:
- Networking, new friendships, and working with a great team of medical professionals!
- Earning of volunteer service hours for school graduation requirements
- Free on-site parking
- Official volunteer shirt to wear in the medical center
- Meal voucher for the medical center cafeteria when volunteering for more than 4 hours in a day
- Volunteer appreciation events and gifts
- Free flu shot every year
- Participation in employee events and celebrations
- Access to our Employee Assistance Program, a free confidential counseling service designed to assist employees experiencing personal, professional or family problems
Interested in Joining Our Volunteer Team?
Are you interested in joining UM BWMC as a Volunteer? Please review the following resources to get started. Remember, you must be 16 years or older to volunteer.
- Adult Volunteer Program - This program is for adults able to commit a minimum of four (4) hours per week for at least six (6) months annually.
Student Volunteer Programs
- Student Volunteer Program (School Year) - This program is for high school and college students during their spring, summer and fall semesters.
- Student Volunteer Program (Summer) - This program is for high school students (16 years of age or older in the 10th through 12th grades) and college students during the months of June, July and August.
Patient and Family Advisory Council
Have you or a family member been a patient here and have thoughts or suggestions? Are you a member of the local community who would like to be involved in shaping the future of our health care services? We are looking for patients, families or community members who would like to serve on our Patient and Family Advisory Council. Please consider volunteering with the Patient Advisory Council.
To contact the Volunteer and Patient Family Advisor Manager, Laura Kuhl, PHR, please call 410-553-8047 or email her at Laura.Kuhl@umm.edu.