Our Psychiatry Residents
The University of Maryland/Sheppard Pratt Residency residents come from a variety of medical schools from around the country and world. For 2020-2021, there are a total of 63 residents, including 3 PSTP residents.
There are 6 Chief Residents who dedicate a portion of their PGY4 year to administrative and teaching work related to the chief positions.
The Executive Chief Resident, Social Justice Chief Resident, Inpatient Chief Resident, Consult-Liaison Chief Resident, Sheppard Pratt Hospital Chief Resident, and Psychiatric Emergency Services Chief Resident work together with the training office and the residents to support and improve the residency.
We strive to provide the residents with high-quality training so that they are prepared to excel in the next step of their careers.
Current UMMC Psychiatry Residents
Our graduates have gone in a number of different directions for their next steps. From fellowships, to academia, to clinical practice, your options are many. Take a look at what some of our graduates are doing now, and also different fellowships we offer at the University of Maryland.
The Residency Program is proud that many of our residents have received regional and national honors and awards. Residents who have received awards over the past few years are listed below.
- Gregory Barber, MD: 2020-2022 American Psychiatric Association (APA)/APA Foundation (APAF) Leadership Fellow
- Rachel Dillinger, MD: Deputy Editor of the American Journal of Psychiatry Residents' Journal for 2020 - 2021.
- Danae DiRocco, MD, MPH: APA Resident Recognition Award
- Devin Gibbs, MD: American Society for Psychoanalytic Physicians (ASPP) Henry P. Laughlin Psychodynamic Psychiatry Award
- Crystal Han, MD: APA/SAMHSA Minority Fellowship
- Kathryn Skimming, MD, MS: 2020 Scott Schwartz Award, American Academy of Psychoanalysis and Dynamic Psychotherapy
- Eric Goldwaser, DO, PhD: Honorable Mention, NIMH Outstanding Resident Award
- Raina Aggarwal, MD: 2019 Finalist in the Maryland Psychiatric Society’s Poster of the Year competition
- Rachel Dillinger, MD
- 2019 Finalist in the Maryland Psychiatric Society’s Poster of the Year competition
- Associate Editor of the American Journal of Psychiatry Residents' Journal
- Danae DiRocco, MD, MPH
- 2019-2020 Recognizing and Eliminating disparities in Addiction through Culturally-informed Healthcare (REACH) Program Scholar
- American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry Trainee Representative to Board of Directors
- APA Area 3 RFM Merit Award
- Vedrana Hodzic, MD: 2018 Scott Schwartz Award, American Academy of Psychoanalysis and Dynamic Psychotherapy
- Mark Kvarta, MD, PhD:
- 2019 Winner of the Maryland Psychiatric Society’s Poster of the Year competition
- NIMH Outstanding Resident Award
- Jooyoung Lee, MD: Maryland Psychiatric Society's Best Published Paper by a Resident
- Shapir Rosenberg, MD: Editor-in-Chief of the American Journal of Psychiatry Residents’ Journal for 2019-2020.
- Viviana Alvarez-Toro, MD
- 2018 American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law Rappeport Fellow
- Maryland Psychiatric Society's Best Published Paper by a Resident
- Shapir Rosenberg, MD
- 2018-2019 Senior Deputy Editor, American Journal of Psychiatry Residents' Journal
- 2018 Finalist in the Maryland Psychiatric Society Poster Competition
- Kathryn Skimming, MD, MS: Frist Place in the 2018 Maryland Psychiatric Society Poster Competition
- Archana Varma, MD: 2018 Scott Schwartz Award, American Academy of Psychoanalysis and Dynamic Psychotherapy