Interviewing - Psychiatry Residency
As with all training programs, our interview process will be entirely virtual. To ensure you appreciate all the wonderful things that the University of Maryland/Sheppard Pratt has to offer you, we have put together a variety of online videos posted throughout our web site. Please review our website and our Instagram account to learn about our curriculum, our residents and living in Baltimore.
If you are selected for an interview, we will send an invitation usually through Thalamus (the interview platform that is associated with ERAS). Occasionally, we may reach out to you via email. If contacted for an interview, your interview will be scheduled for a Tuesday or Friday. Interviews will begin in late October and run through the end of January. The interview day begins at 9:45 am and will end approximately at 4 pm. There is a meeting with current residents in our program from 7 to 8 pm the night before your interview.
Communicating about the status of your application
Due to the large number of applications we receive, we are unable to acknowledge receipt of your application, to verify the information received or to inform you that you have not been selected to interview.
Tips for using ERAS scheduler
- Interview dates begin on Tuesday, October 24. They will continue on Tuesdays and Fridays through January 23. Interviews are not offered on November 24 or December 22 – January 2.
- Two interview slots are held for PSTP candidates on Tuesday, November 21 and Tuesday, December 12.
- Wait listing is an option with Thalamus. If you have difficulty scheduling your interview, please reach out to Barbara Burns (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Getting ready for your interview
We will send you an email the week before your interview with detailed information, including the schedule of events and technical information for using the online platform.
Review our web site, which includes videos, resident spotlights and information about the medical center.
We share your name, medical school and email address with our residents so they can reach out to applicants before your interview day.
Be sure your equipment is ready to go. Check out the tips from the AAMC for Virtual Interviewing.
- Use a laptop or computer and not your cell phone.
- Ensure your laptop is fully charged – in case the power goes out – and plugged in.
- Check that your audio and camera are working.
- Adjust your lighting so that your face is fully visible. Avoid bright backlighting.
- Raise your laptop about 10 to 12 inches to ensure your camera is straight in front your face.
Agreement to not record your virtual interview
By accepting an interview at the University of Maryland/Sheppard Pratt Program, you agree not to record any part of your interview day. We will similarly not record any portion of your interviews.
Tentative schedule of your virtual visit
The evening before
- 7 to 8 pm – Evening virtual meeting with residents
- 9:45 am – Check-in and welcome with Resident of the Day
- 10 to 10:50 am – Overview with Mark J. Ehrenreich, MD, Chief of Education and Director of Residency Training
- 11 to 11:25 am – First interview
- 11:30 to 11:55 am – Second interview
- 12 to 12:25 pm – Third interview
- 12:30 to 1:30 pm – Break/lunch
- 1:30 to 2 pm – Meet with Resident of the Day
- 2 to 4 pm – One 20-minute individual meeting with Dr. Ehrenreich, the associate training director, a faculty member, or a Chief Resident. The Resident of the Day is also available for end-of-day questions.