How to Apply - UMMC Psychiatry Residency
For All Applicants
Applications are accepted from the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). We have three tracks in ERAS:
- Psychiatry Residency - This track is for applicants who wish to apply for the first year of psychiatry residency training. (NRMP: 1252400C0)
- Physician-Scientist Track – This track is for applicants with an M.D./D.O. degree and significant research experience or a Ph.D. degree in a relevant scientific area who wish to pursue residency training and concurrently pursue research in Psychiatry (NRMP: 1252400C1)
- PGY-2 – This track is for applicants who have completed one-year of graduate medical education in an ACGME-approved residency program in the U.S.
You can apply to both the Psychiatry Residency track and the Physician-Scientist Track for consideration for a position beginning July 1, 2022.
We will contact you if you are offered an interview.
NRMP Program Codes:
- PGY-1: 1252400C0
- PGY-1, physician-scientist track: 1252400C1
In addition to the Medical School Performance Evaluation ("MSPE" or Dean's Letter), a minimum of three letters of recommendation must be provided.
There is no restriction on the number of years since graduation from medical school.
Applicants for PGY-1 Physician-Scientist Track
- Requirements: Successful completion of an M.D. or D.O. degree and significant research experience or a Ph.D. degree in a relevant scientific area. Letters of recommendation should include at least one from a research mentor and one from a clinical psychiatry faculty member.
- You can apply to both the Psychiatry Residency track and the Physician-Scientist Track for consideration for a position beginning July 1, 2022.
Materials To Submit Via ERAS
- The ERAS application form
- Your curriculum vitae
- Medical School Performance Evaluation ("MSPE" or Dean's Letter)
- Three or four letters of recommendation
- Medical school transcript from each medical school attended
- USMLE Step or COMLEX scores
- Personal Statement
- Supplemental Application (this will be emailed to you)
- Applicants must pass Steps 1 and 2 to enter the program. (CS or PE is not required due to the pandemic)
- There are no minimum "cut off" scores.
PGY-2, PGY-3 and PGY-4 Applicants
The availability of PGY-2 positions varies each year. Interested applicants who have completed at least one year of residency training in an ACGME program are welcomed to apply and need to do so through ERAS. PGY-2 positions are offered out of the Match.
Occasionally, we may have PGY-3 or PGY-4 positions available. If you are interested in applying for a PGY-3 or PGY-4 position, please send information equivalent to that in an ERAS application, to email@example.com. Please include detailed information regarding past ACGME-approved training. You should not apply through ERAS for a PGY-3 or PGY-4 position. PGY-3 and PGY-4 positions are offered out of the Match.
- J-1 visa sponsorship only.
- ECFMG certification is not necessary to apply, but ECFMG certification required to begin training.
- Significant clinical experience in Psychiatry in the U.S. is required.
- Observerships/externships are not available.
- International Applicants who have failed any USMLE step will most likely not be granted interviews.
If you are selected to interview, we will send an invitation, usually through ERAS. Occasionally, we may reach out to you via email.
If contacted for an interview, your interview will be scheduled for a Tuesday or Friday. Interviews will begin on October 26 and run through the end of January. The interview day begins at 9:45 AM and will end approximately at 4:30 PM. There is a meeting with the residents of the program from 7 to 8 PM on the night prior to your interview date.
Due to the large number of applications we receive, we are unable to acknowledge receipt of your application to verify the information received or to inform you that you have not been selected to interview.
For more information, contact:
University of Maryland/Sheppard Pratt Psychiatry Residency Training Program
University of Maryland
701 W. Pratt St., 4th Floor
Baltimore, MD 21201