Visiting DEI Student Elective Program
Supporting diversity in medicine is critical to our mission as pediatricians and we're so excited for you to join us! This 4-week clinical elective and DEI experience is designed to support those students who are interested in pediatrics and are committed to working in underserved populations and interested in working in diversity, equity, and inclusion. With a combination of clinical exposure, structured mentorship, and opportunities for community engagement, we'll give you a glimpse into your future as a pediatric resident in our program.
Two 4th year medical students completing their training in the upcoming academic year will be selected for this program, with visiting student offered financial support of $2,500 to offset the financial obligations associated with travel and lodging during their rotation.
Only applications completed by May 15th, 2023 will be considered. All applicants will also be required to submit an official VSLO application for consideration. Please contact PedsDiversityCouncil@som.umaryland.edu with any questions.
This year, we will be hosting both visiting students from August 28th, 2023 – September 22nd, 2023. Applicants will have the opportunity to select from a variety of electives available in the department of Pediatrics at that time.
- Are enrolled in and in good standing at an LCME accredited allopathic medical school or osteopathic school of medicine accredited by the Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation
- Are completing their final year of medical school
- Have passed USMLE Step 1 or COMLEX Level 1
- Come from or have experience in serving underrepresented and disadvantaged populations
- Current CV
- USMLE or COMLEX Transcript
- Medical School transcript (unofficial copy is OK with us!)
- Completion of the University of Maryland Visiting Student application through VLSO
- Completion of the Visiting DEI Student Elective Program application (available online)
- All applications for the Visiting DEI Student Elective Program are due by May 15th, 2023
- Applicants will be notified of selection by June 1st, 2023
Please contact PedsDiversityCouncil@som.umaryland.edu with any questions.