Salary and Benefits - Internal Medicine Residency
Salary for 2023-2024 is listed below. A reasonable cost of living increase can be expected for 2024-2025.
- PGY1 - $60,557
- PGY2 - $63,519
- PGY3 - $66,445
- Interns: 4 weeks of paid leave/year (3 weeks between June 24 and June 23 of the following year PLUS an additional week of vacation June 24-30 only for interns remaining at UMMC)
- Residents: 4 weeks of paid leave/year.
Days Off and Personal Wellness Half-Days
Residents have a minimum of 4 days off per month while on inpatient rotations and weekends off while on elective, ambulatory rotations and academic GIM rotations. In addition, residents have 4 personal wellness half-days during electives or ambulatory rotations for errands, doctor's visits and other needs.
Dept of Medicine Education Funds
- $100 each year to purchase software or electronic equipment for educational or clinical use.
- $500 to support travel expenses to present resident research at a national meeting
- $500 to defray publication cost in peer reviewed journals
- $750 for senior residents for a conference, educational materials or the Boards
UMMC Funding for Continuing Education
UMMC provides $500 per calendar year (January-December) to cover the cost of study materials (such as MKSAP, U World), ACP Dues, USMLE Step 3 Exam Registration, conferences or abstract presentations (registration and travel expenses in the US only) and continuing education resources.
Food, Parking, On-call Rooms, Lactation Rooms, White Coats, Scrubs and PPE
- Department of Medicine subsidizes 94% of the cost of campus parking for interns.
- Residents receive a stipend for meals while on-call. When rotating at Mercy Medical Center, all meals are provided.
- Convenient and safe on-call rooms readily at all sites
- Lactation rooms and refrigeration for human milk at all sites
- White coats and scrubs provided.
- Easy access to PPE, including N95 masks, face shields, eye guards, elastomeric respirators, gowns, gloves and hand and surface sanitizers. Supplies are abundant.
The Department provides upper level residents with optional extra shifts or "moonlighting" opportunities to supplement their salary. Per ACGME, interns are not permitted to moonlight.