Scholarly Activity - Infectious Diseases Fellowship
Research is an important component of our ID fellowship training program. There are enormous research opportunities at the University of Maryland. The University provides a fertile environment for research in the field of infectious diseases with the home of various institutes and centers (e.g., the Institute of Human Virology, the Institute of Global Health, the Center for Vaccine Development, the Institute of Genome Sciences, etc.)
All fellows are expected to participate in a research project as a component of their education. Each fellow may choose a project that may be clinical, translational, or laboratory based. The choice is typically based on the fellow's individual career interests. Fellows meet with the PD in their first year to determine where their interests in the field of ID lie and are then referred to appropriate potential mentors.
*Fellows are noted in bold and underlined*
Clinical ResearchToggle accordion item
- Kim JJ, Blevins MW, Brooks DJ, Stehle JR, McLouth CJ, Viviano JP, Holmes JH, Bischoff WE. Successful control of a methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus outbreak in a burn intensive care unit by addition of universal decolonization with intranasal mupirocin to basic infection prevention measures. Am J Infect Control. 2019 Jan 4. [Epub ahead of print]
- Mathur P, Comstock E, Makuza J, Emmanuel B, Sebeza J, Kiromera A, Wilson E, Kattakuzhy S, Nelson A, Kottilil S, Riedel D. Implementation of a unique hepatitis C care continuum model in Rwanda. J Public Health. 2018 Jul 6. [Epub ahead of print].
- Heil EL, Pineles L, Mathur P, Morgan DJ, Harris AD, Srinivasan A, Thom KA and the CDC Epicenters. Accuracy of provider-selected indications for antibiotic orders. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2018;39:111-113.
- Mathur P, Comstock E, McSweegan E, Mercer N, Kumar NS, Kottilil S. A pilot study to expand treatment of chronic hepatitis C in resource-limited settings. Antiviral Res. 2017;146:184-190.
- Doll M, Preas MA, Johnson JK, Mitchell C, Roup B, Wilson L, Carothers C, Nkonge G, Leekha S. A pseudo-outbreak of aspergillosis at a tertiary care hospital: thinking beyond the infection control risk assessment. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2017;38(1):115-118.
- Harris AD, Jackson SS, Robinson G, Pineles L, Leekha S, Thom KA, Wang Y, Doll M, Pettigrew MM, Johnson JK. Pseudomonas aeruginosa colonization in the intensive care unit: prevalence, risk factors, and clinical outcomes. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2016 May;37(5):544-8.
- Heil EL, Bork JT, Schmalzle SA, Kleinberg M, Kewalramani A, Gilliam BL, Buchwald UK. Implementation of an Infectious Disease Fellow-Managed Penicillin Allergy Skin Testing Service. Open
- Forum Infect Dis. 2016;23;3(3):ofw155.
- Harris AD, Jackson SS, Robinson G, Pineles L, Leekha S, Thom KA, Wang Y, Doll M, Pettigrew MM, Johnson JK. Pseudomonas aeruginosa colonization in the intensive care unit: prevalence, risk factors, and clinical outcomes. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2016;37(5):544-8.
- Delva GJ, Francois I, Claassen CW, Dorestan D, Bastien B, Medina-Moreno S, Fort DS, Redfield RR, Buchwald UK. Active Tuberculosis Case Finding in Port-au-Prince, Haiti: Experiences, Results, and Implications for Tuberculosis Control Programs. Tuberc Res Treat. 2016;2016:8020745.
- Croft L, Ladd J, Doll M, Morgan DJ. Inappropriate antibiotic use and gastric acid suppression preceding Clostridium difficile infection. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2016;37(4):494-5.
- Riedel DJ, Cox ER, Stafford KA, Gilliam BL. Clinical presentation and outcomes of prostate cancer in an urban cohort of predominantly African-American, HIV-infected patients. Urology 2015;85(2):415-22.
- Fisher LH, Stafford KA, Fantry LE, Gilliam BL, Riedel DJ. Cancer Knowledge and Opportunities for Education Among HIV-Infected Patients in an Urban Academic Medical Center. J Cancer Educ. 2015;30(2):319-26.
- Gilliams EA, Jumare J, Claassen CW, Thesing PC, Nyirenda OM, Dzinjalamala FK, Taylor T, Plowe CV, Tracy LA, Laufer MK. Chloroquine-azithromycin combination antimalarial treatment decreases risk of respiratory- and gastrointestinal-tract infections in Malawian children. J Infect Dis. 2014; 210:585-92.
- Osinusi-Adekanmbi O, Stafford K, Ukpaka A, Salami D, Ajayi S, Ndembi N, Abimiku A, Nwizu C, Gilliam B, Redfield R, Amoroso A. Long-term outcome of second-line antiretroviral therapy in resource-limited settings. J Int Assoc Provid AIDS Care. 2014;13:366-71.
- Arnold R, Rock C, Croft L, Gilliam BL, Morgan DJ. Factors associated with treatment failure in vertebral osteomyelitis requiring spinal instrumentation. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2014 Feb;58(2):880-4.
Laboratory ResearchToggle accordion item
- Mathur P, Emmanuel B, Sneller M, Zhang X, Poonia B, Kottilil S. Recovery of hepatitis C specific T-cell responses after rituximab therapy in hepatitis C mixed cryoglobulinemic vasculitis. J Med Virol. 2018;90(5):936-941.
- Bork JT, Leekha S, Heil EL, Zhao L, Badamas R, Johnson JK. Rapid testing using the Verigene Gram-negative blood culture nucleic acid test in combination with antimicrobial stewardship intervention against Gram-negative bacteremia. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2015;59(3):1588-95.
- Maldarelli GA, De Masi L, von Rosenvinge EC, Carter M, Donnenberg MS. Identification, immunogenicity, and cross-reactivity of type IV pilin and pilin-like proteins from Clostridium difficile. Pathog Dis. 2014;71:302-14.
Case ReportsToggle accordion item
- Yunce M, Bhat P, Jaganathan D, Bahrain M. Herpes Hepatitis as a complication of total abdominal hysterectomy; an unusual complication of abdominal instrumentation. Clin Case Rep. 2018;7(1):11-14.
- Shah J, Poonawala H, Keay SK, Serulle Y, Steven A, Gandhi D, Cole JW. Varicella-Zoster Virus Vasculopathy: A Case Report Demonstrating Vasculitis using Black-Blood MRI. J Neurol Neurophysiol. 2015;6(6).
- Bork JT, Macharia T, Choi J, Gilliam BL, Buchwald UK. Syphilitic Hepatitis treated with Doxycycline in an HIV-infected Patient and Review of the Literature. Sex Transm Dis 2014;41(8):507-510.
- Cox ER, Nayak SU, Kuruppu JC. Klebsiella oxytoca bacteremia-causal relationship to symptomatic colitis? Int J Infect Dis. 2013 Jun;17(6):e472-3.
- Sachdev SH, Joshi V, Cox ER, Amoroso A, Palekar S. Severe life-threatening Ehrlichia chaffeensis infections transmitted through solid organ transplantation. Transpl Infect Dis. 2014;16(1):119-24.
Photo CasesToggle accordion item
- Jakharia N, Hossain A, Luethy P, Riedel DJ. 48 year old male with febrile neutropenia and massive hemolysis. Clin Infect Dis. 2019. In press.
- Ntem-Mensah A, Palacios CF, Harvilla N, Riedel DJ. Photo Quiz: Skin lesions in a patient with prolonged neutropenia. Infect Dis Clin Pract. 2019;27(2):114-116.
- Dillon R, Riedel DJ. Strongyloides hyperinfection. Am J Med 2018; in press.
- Doll M, Kleinberg M, Kokh D, Riedel DJ. Loss of Virologic Control and Severe Pneumocystis pneumonia in an HIV-Infected Patient Receiving Chemotherapy for Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2016;32(1):4-5.
- Fisher LH, Choi J, Bricker RS, Shere-Wolfe KD, Saharia K. Daptomycin-induced eosinophilic pneumonia. Clin Infect Dis. 2015;61(6):978-9, 1026-7.
- Bork JT, Wilding E, Claassen CW, Johnson JK, Kleinberg M. Fungal sinusitis in a 75-year-old neutropenic cancer patient. Clin Infect Dis. 2015;60(2):274; answer 321-2.
- Schmalzle SA, Wolde-Rufael D, Gilliam BL. Diarrhea, anasarca, and severe hypoalbuminemia in an AIDS patient. Diagnosis: AIDS-related visceral Kaposi sarcoma (KS) with protein-losing enteropathy (PLE). Clin Infect Dis. 2015;60(8):1241, 1281-3.
ReviewsToggle accordion item
- Mathur P, Kottilil S. Husson J. Treatment of hepatitis C in renal impairment and renal transplant. Curr Treat Options Infect Dis 2016; 8(4):438–448.
- Schmalzle S, Buchwald UK, Gilliam BL, Riedel DJ. Cryptococcus neoformans infection in malignancy. Mycoses 2016;59(9):542-52.
- D'Angelo RG, Johnson JK, Bork JT, Heil EL. Treatment options for extended-spectrum beta-lactamase (ESBL) and AmpC-producing bacteria. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2016;17(7):953-67.
- Majumdar A, Gilliam BL. Grazoprevir. Drugs Fut 2016 41(2): 85-109
- Heil EL, Hynicka LM, Kottilil S, Tang L. What does the pharmacological future of treating chronic hepatitis C look like? Expert Rev Clin Pharmacol. 2015;8(5):605-22.
- Doll M, Morgan DJ, Anderson D, Bearman G. Touchless Technologies for Decontamination in the Hospital: a Review of Hydrogen Peroxide and UV Devices. Curr Infect Dis Rep. 2015;17(9):498.
Conference AbstractsToggle accordion item
- Shams M, Hachaambwa L, Claassen C. An Unusual Case of Suppurative Tonsillitis. 29th ECCMID European Congress of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases 2019 Clinical Grand Round Case. Amsterdam, Netherlands. April 13-16, 2019.
- Brown M, Sanchez-Petitto G, Morales M, Koka M, Rapoport AP, Hardy NM, Yared JA, Dahiya S, Holtzman NG, El-Chaer F. Successful treatment of Toxoplasma induced hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis (HLH) after undergoing allogenic stem cell transplantation (HSCT). 2019 Transplantation & Cellular Therapy Meetings of ASBMT and CIBMTR. February 20-24, 2019. Houston, Texas
- Jakharia N, Stafford KA, Riedel DJ. Impact of Skin Biopsy on Diagnosing Infections and Changing Treatment in Cancer Patients with New Skin Rash. Abstract 69847. IDWeek 2018. San Francisco, CA. October 3-8, 2018.
- Lambing T, Bork J. Hepatitis B Care Cascade within the VA Maryland Health Care System. IDWeek 2018. IDWeek 2018. San Francisco, CA. October 3-8, 2018.
- Berry S, Lopes E, Heil EL, Dave R, Amoroso A, Gilliam BL, Bork JT. Multi-Center Experience with Off Label Use of Dalbavancin for Complicated Gram Positive Infections. ASM Microbe 2018. Atlanta, GA. June 7-11, 2018.
- Mathur P, Comstock E, Emmanuel B, Riedel D, Kottilil S. Implementation of a unique hepatitis C care continuum model in a resource-limited setting. The International Liver Congress, Paris, France. April 11-15, 2018.
- Mathur P, Comstock E, Emmanuel B, Mercer N, Riedel D, Kottilil S. Implementation of a unique hepatitis C care continuum model in international resource-limited settings (oral). 27th Asian Pacific Association for the Study of the Liver (APASL 2018), New Delhi, India. March 14-18, 2018.
- Husson J, Adekunle R, Ravichandran B, Mathur P, Joncche S, Stafford K. The impact of hepatitis C treatment on GFR and immunosuppression in renal transplant recipients. American Transplant Congress. Chicago, IL. May 2, 2017. Joncche S, Husson J, Casale J, Adekunle R, Mathur P, Gripshover J, Ravichandran B. Impact of alemtuzumab induction on hepatitis C treatment outcomes post-renal transplantation. American Transplant Congress. Chicago, IL. May 2, 2017.
- Mathur P, Emmanuel B, Kottilil S. B-Cell depletion therapy with rituximab in patients with HCV mixed cryoglobulinemic vasculitis improves B- and T-cell phenotype and function. European Association for the Study of the Liver, International Liver Congress 2017. Amsterdam, Netherlands. April 21, 2017.
- Ryscavage PA, Still W, Nyemba V, Stafford KA. Prevalence of Systemic Hypertension Among HIV-Infected and HIV-Uninfected Young Adults. IDWeek. San Diego, California. October 4-8, 2017.
- Poonawala H, Umesh S, Thenmozhi N, Riedel DJ. Digital gangrene due to rickettsial vasculitis - uncommon manifestation of an underappreciated disease. ASTMH (American Society of Tropical Medicine & Hygiene) 65th Annual Meeting. Atlanta, GA. November 13-17, 2016.
- Miller E, Nieweld C, Doll M, Saharia K, Buchwald U. High burden of AIDS defining conditions and increased mortality with hepatitis coinfection in HIV-infected adults in an inner city Medical Intensive Care Unit. IDWeek. New Orleans, Louisiana. October 25-30, 2016.
- Shah K, Fay E, Kleinberg M, Heil E, Bork JT. Outcomes and Safety of De-escalation Therapy in Cancer Patients Receiving Empiric Meropenem. ASM Microbe 2016. Boston, MA. June 16-20, 2016. Bork JT, Heil E, Pineles L, Kleinberg M. How to 'Excel' at Antimicrobial Stewardship without Clinical Decision Support System at IDWeek 2015, San Diego CA, October 10, 2015.
- Heil E, Bork JT, Buchwald U. Implementation of an Infectious Disease Fellow Managed Penicillin Allergy Skin Testing Service at IDWeek 2015, San Diego CA, October 10, 2015.
- Fantry LE, Nowak RG, Fisher LH, Cullen NR, Yimgang DP, Stafford KA, Riedel DJ, Kang M, Innis EK, Riner A, Wang EW, Charurat ME. Colorectal neoplastic lesions in HIV-infected patients compared to non-HIV-infected patients. 17th Annual International Meeting of the Institute of Human Virology of the University of Maryland School of Medicine. Baltimore, Maryland. September 2015.
- Heil E, Leekha S, Bork JT, Johnson JK. Impact of CLSI Enterobacteriaceae Breakpoint Changes on Antibiotic Use at a Large Academic Medical Center at ICAAC 2014, Washington DC, September 7, 2014 (poster)
- Bork JT, Heil E, Leekha S, Johnson JK. Impact of CLSI Guideline 2014 Changes on the Reporting of Cefepime Susceptibility for Enterobacteriaceae at ICAAC 2014, Washington DC, September 7, 2014 (poster)
- Bork JT, Heil E, Leekha S, Badamas R, Johnson JK. Rapid Testing using Verigene Microarray in Combination with Antimicrobial Stewardship Intervention in Gram-negative Bacteremia at ID Week 2014, Philadelphia PA, October 9, 2014 (poster)