Resources for Journalists
University of Maryland Medical Center/System and School of Medicine News
The Media Team at the University of Maryland Medical Center looks forward to working with you to tell life-changing stories about our innovations in health and medicine.
- We offer the following resources to journalists:
- Interviews with world renowned experts on hundreds of topics in medicine and health
- UMMC NewsNow live streaming press briefings on Twitter via Periscope
- Patient interviews
- Opportunity for b-roll
- Live in-studio uplink capabilities
- Photography assets including video and photos
For assistance with a story and accessing these resources, please contact the Media Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-328-8919.
On-site visits by news media for any purpose including photography, videography or interviews of patients, their families, staff or physicians must be arranged in advance via the Media Relations Team.
- A member of the Media Relations Team must escort the news media (or any professional photographer, writer or videographer on assignment) at all times when they are at a UMMS facility.
- Members of the media who are working on assignment must identify themselves as such to hospital staff. This policy also applies to any UMMS events where media may be present.
- Photography/videography by the news media at any UMMS facility without prior approval by the Media Relations Team is not permitted.
- The use of UMMS facilities as a backdrop or “location” for photography or videography with or without inclusion of patients or staff also requires prior approval.
For assistance in covering stories and to schedule an interview with our experts, please send an e-mail to email@example.com.
- This is the quickest way to reach a member of the media relations staff. Messages are monitored 24/7; urgent messages will receive immediate attention.
- Please include your contact information in the body or signature of your e-mail, state how we can be of assistance and include your deadline.
- During normal business hours you may also reach the Media Relations Team at 410-328-8919.
Please direct inquiries regarding patient conditions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Media must provide the correct first and last name of any patient about whom they are inquiring.
- Per federal privacy guidelines, we are able to provide one-word conditions about patients in our care: Critical, Serious, Fair or Good.
- We may also report that a patient has been discharged.
- Conditions about minors in our care will not be released unless consent has been granted by the parent or guardian.
View current news releases.
For patient inquiries or to make an appointment, please call 1-800-492-5538.