The Bridge Program: Domestic Violence Awareness
The Bridge Program is a component of the Violence Prevention Program (VPP) at the R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center and serves the entire University of Maryland Medical Center campus. The mission of The Bridge Program is to break the cycle of Intimate Partner Violence in Baltimore City and the surrounding counties.
Did You Know?
- Intimate Partner Violence includes physical, sexual and/or psychological harm by a current or former partner or spouse.
- Homicide is one of the leading causes of death amongst pregnant women in Maryland.
- Young women ages 16-24 experience the highest rate of Intimate Partner Violence.
How the Bridge Program Can Help
What Can Staff Do?
- Any staff member can contact The Bridge Program if a patient has positive abuse indicators or discloses that they are a victim of Intimate Partner Violence.
- A Bridge Program Case Manager will respond to the hospital within one hour of being contacted via TigerConnect.
- Confidential danger assessment and safety planning
- Crisis intervention, counseling and case management services following discharge
- Advocacy, legal information and court accompaniment
- Referrals to community resources