Save Your Energy
- Be sure that your computer settings optimize energy saving and be sure to shutdown your computer completely when you leave for the day -- do not put them on "standby" settings.
- Unplug any electronics that you can plug back in when needed -- printers, scanners, etc.
- Look for Energy Star certified products when purchasing equipment.
- Plug all electronics into a single power strip that you can turn off with one switch easily.
- Purchase more efficient LED or Fluorescent bulbs rather than incandescent, be sure to turn off the lights when you are not in the room and use natural light when possible!
- Green your commute! You may do so through car pooling, biking, walking, or public transportation. You may also consider purchasing a more energy efficient vehicle that will also save you money on gas.
Paper & Printing
- Do not print documents unless necessary, keep digital files to reference rather than wasting paper.
- Set your printer's default to double sided and try to stick with recycled, unbleached paper.
- Recycle or refill your ink cartridges!
- Use air dryers rather than paper towels in the bathroom.
- When possible, print in black and white or even in draft mode. It will print in a lighter shade but you will still be able to read it.
- Use office supplies made of recycled materials. Some organizations include Ahrend, Auspen, EcoWork, ForestChoice, and The Green Office.
- Buy used office furniture, electronics, etc.
- Recycle old electronics!
- Look for quality! Buy high quality equipment that will last and prevent the need for replacement in the near future.
- Practice green lunch! Bring your own lunch to work in a reusable container, use reusable utensils, and eat locally grown foods. Switch to Fair Trade and organic coffee.
- Make it a habit to use nontoxic cleaning products.
- Bring plants into your office, they clean the air and absorb indoor air pollution.
- Buy furniture, carpeting, and paint that are free of volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
- Consider office sharing that will save utilities, equipment, etc.
- Share these ideas with your colleagues!