Online Resources - UMMC Goes Green
Want to learn more about helping the environment and reducing your own impact on it? Take a look at the sites listed below.
Note: We are providing these links to related resources as a service to our users. Some of the links below are to outside web sites. We are not responsible for the information at these outside linked sites and do not endorse any products or services found there.
"Green" Health Care
- UM Go Green - The University of Maryland (UM) recognizes its responsibility to a sustainable future and is dedicated to working diligently to that end. It is our commitment that the built environment of the University will have the lowest impact on the natural environment of any comparable university.
- Health Care Without Harm - Health Care Without Harm works to promote the health of people and the environment by implementing ecologically sound and healthy alternatives to health care practices that pollute the environment and contribute to disease.
- Alliance of Nurses for Healthy Environments - The Alliance of Nurses for Healthy Environments is a new organization that brings together individual nurses and nursing organizations interested in addressing environmental health issues. The Alliance has developed a strategic plan for the integration of environmental health into nursing education, practice, research, and policy/advocacy work.
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
- MDRecycles.org - MDRecycles.org discusses what materials are recyclable, helps visitors find companies that will pick up recyclable materials, and teaches visitors how to reduce waste management costs while helping to create a cleaner environment for themselves and their communities.
- Food & Water Watch - Food & Water Watch is a non-profit organization working with grassroots organizations around the world to create an economically and environmentally viable future. Through research, public and policymaker education, media, and lobbying, we advocate policies that guarantee safe, wholesome food produced in a humane and sustainable manner.
- BGE Home - The goal of BGE HOME is to make consumers more comfortable in their homes. Dramatic changes are sweeping the energy industry as deregulation and customer choice roll out in Maryland. As the transition takes place, BGE Home is poised to become its customers' energy partner.
Buy Local and Organic
- Maryland Department of Agriculture - The Maryland Department of Agriculture was established on the basis of agriculture's growing importance and impact to the economy of the state. On the department's web site, visitors will find a local Farmers' Market directory, tips for eating healthy, and measures they can take to help conserve natural resources.
- Fair Trade USA - Fair Trade USA enables sustainable development and community empowerment by cultivating a more equitable global trade model that benefits farmers, workers, consumers, industry and the earth.
- Eat Wild - Eat Wild is your source for safe, healthy, natural and nutritious grass-fed beef, lamb, goats, bison, poultry, pork, dairy and other wild edibles. This website provides comprehensive, accurate information about the benefits of raising animals on pasture, as well as a direct link to local farms that sell all-natural, delicious, grass-fed products.
- The Charm City Circulator - The Charm City Circulator (CCC) is a fleet of 21 DesignLine 2009 EcoSaver IV LF Hybrid Electric shuttles that travel three routes throughout Baltimore City and provide FREE transportation to local residents and tourists. The goal of this shuttle service is reduce congestion and greenhouse gas pollution by offering convenient, reliable and eco-friendly public transportation.
- The Helpful Gardener- The Helpful Gardener is based in the San Francisco Bay Area in California. However, writers come from around the world, particularly North America. The principal author for most of the articles is Scott Reil, an accredited nurseryman with over fifteen years experience in the ornamental horticulture industry.
- Arbor Day Foundation - The Arbor Day Foundation strives to inspire people to plant, nurture, and celebrate trees by expanding awareness of the need for tree planting and care through increased publicity about Arbor Day and the number of people who celebrate it.
- Earth911.com - Earth911.com is your one-stop shop for all you need to know about reducing your impact, reusing what you have and recycling your trash.