Schedule an appointment:1-800-441-7562 1-800-441-7562
The Colorectal Oncology Center at UM St. Joseph Medical Center lead efforts on the importance of screening to prevent and treat of colorectal cancers. The center's staff is skilled in treating the most common to the most complex conditions, providing individualized treatment plans.
Howard Berg, MD, Surgical Director, specializes in the medical and surgical management of problems affecting the colon, rectum and anus as well as the small intestine when involved by inflammatory bowel disease. Dr. Berg leads an expert team of gastroenterologists, medical and radiation oncologists and other support staff that are committed to the successful treatment of patients.
Diagnosis and Staging
Colorectal cancer can almost always be caught in its earliest, most curable stages through regular screening colonoscopy exams. Your doctor will first review your medical history and give you a complete medical exam. One or more of the following tests may be performed:
- Colonoscopy – a visual exam of the lining of the large intestine, also called the bowel or colon, with a colonoscope
- Digital rectal exam – examination of the rectum for lumps or abnormal areas by inserting the doctor's lubricated, gloved, finger into the rectum
- X-ray of the Large Intestine – an X-ray to provide a picture to help identify the presence of polyps
- Fecal occult blood test – a small sample of stool is placed on a special card and tested by a lab for hidden blood
- Endorectal ultrasound
- Surgical biopsy
- To schedule an appointment with Howard Berg, MD, please call 410-356-6664.
- To schedule an appointment with Nader Hanna, MD, please call 410-427-2226.