About UM SJMC
UM St. Joseph Medical Center (UM SJMC) has a rich heritage of compassionate service and superb clinical programs.
Our primary goal is to build upon that heritage by enhancing our relationship among our community, employees and physicians.
We hope to do this, in part, through our website, where you'll find access to information about our many outstanding programs and services.
In addition, we have made finding a physician for your specific needs quick and easy – literally at your fingertips. You'll also find valuable health information and learn about things that you can do to enhance your lifestyle.
We hope you'll visit often. We are grateful for the opportunity to serve you and to help carry on the UM SJMC mission of providing the highest quality of care possible to our Baltimore community.
Who We Are
UM St. Joseph Medical Center is a 218 licensed bed, Catholic acute care hospital that observes the Ethical and Religious Directives for Catholic Health Care Services.
Originally called St. Joseph German Hospital, it was founded in 1864 by the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia. The organization moved to its current location in Towson, Maryland in 1965. UM St. Joseph is a member of the University of Maryland Medical System, a multi-hospital system with academic, community and specialty service missions reaching every part of the state and beyond.
With commitment to our Patients, our Colleagues and our Community, and guided by our Catholic heritage, we provide loving service and high-quality, compassionate and integrated care to improve the health and well-being of the communities we serve.
Led by our engaged workforce, pursuing our True North, and committed to diversity, health equity, and inclusion, we aspire to be a national leader in patient safety and experience, and integrated, high-quality health outcomes for the communities we serve.
UM St. Joseph Medical Center embraces a mission of loving service and compassionate care for all regardless of ability to pay. Our core values are:
- Reverence – Respect for all people as God's loved children
- Integrity – Coherence between what we say and what we do/how we do it
- Compassion – Ability to enter into another's joy and sorrow
- Excellence – Always putting forth our personal and professional best efforts.
- Stewardship – Utilizing and managing all resources for the benefit of our organization and community
Facts about UM St. Joseph Medical CenterToggle accordion item
- Offers Hospitalist 24-hour physician coverage in critical care and general medicine, obstetrics/gynecology, pediatrics and surgery.
- Has an on call 24/7 Rapid Response Team, composed of a critical care physician, intensive care nurse and respiratory therapist, to prevent codes and reduce mortality when a patient's condition deteriorates. Has more than 1,100 physicians on the medical staff, representing more than 50 medical specialties. Employs approximately 2,300 nurses, allied healthcare professionals and staff.
- Includes the UM St. Joseph Medical Group, which consists of 100+ employed physicians and mid-level practitioners who are aligned with UM St. Joseph Medical Center to offer the community a solid foundation of primary care and various specialties.
- Includes UM St. Joseph Cardiovascular Associates, a group practice of cardiologists and cardiac surgeons aligned with UM St. Joseph Medical Center and committed to providing comprehensive cardiac care.
- UM St. Joseph is a handicapped accessible facility.
Units & Dedicated SuitesToggle accordion item
- Inpatient units include five Medical/Surgical Units, a Mother/Baby Unit, a GYN/antepartum Unit, Pediatric Unit, 28-bed Critical Care Unit, and 10-bed Open Heart Surgery Unit and 19-bed Psychiatric Unit.
- Pain Management Center provides pain blocks.
- Digestive Disorders Center has four suites offering endoscopies, colonoscopies, EGD, EUS, ERCP, motility studies and the Spyglass visualization system.
Institutes & Centers of ExcellenceToggle accordion item
- The Sandra R. Berman Heart Institute
The Sandra R. Berman Heart Institute is a state-of-the-art, centralized service that provides a complete continuum of cardiac care including open-heart surgery, a cardiac surgery unit, an all-digital Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory, Cardiographics featuring ICAEL accredited echo laboratory, Electrophysiology Lab, Nuclear Medicine, 20-bed cardiac unit, hospital-wide monitoring capabilities and a Cardiovascular Fitness program. The STEMI LifeNet system in Baltimore County ambulances transmits cardiac information directly to UM St. Joseph's ER so that emergency staff and cardiologists are ready for emergency cardiac patients prior to their arrival.
UM St. Joseph offers HeartAware, a free, seven-minute risk assessment and a low-cost CT scan and calcium scoring that can detect calcium buildup on the heart's artery walls.
UM St. Joseph has been recognized as one of America’s 50 Best Hospitals for Cardiac Surgery by Healthgrades, and ranked high performing in Aortic Valve Surgery, Heart Attack, Heart Bypass Surgery, Heart Failure and Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Repair by U.S. News & World Report. UM St. Joseph also was named one of IBM Watson Health’s 50 Top Cardiovascular Hospitals for 2021.
- The Cancer Institute
The Cancer Institute features a patient-centered, multidisciplinary approach to cancer care under one roof with a large, sunny infusion center, Radiation Oncology and new Women's Center, composed of the Breast Center (accredited by the National Accreditation Program for Breast Cancer) and Gynecologic Oncology. A full range of clinical trials and psychosocial support services are available. UM St. Joseph is accredited with commendation as a comprehensive community cancer center by the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer. The Institute includes Urologic Oncology (a leader in da Vinci prostatectomies), Thoracic Oncology, Colorectal Oncology (including Ostomy care) and Orthopaedic Oncology.
- The Jack and Elizabeth Dunn Family Orthopaedic Institute & The Spine Institute
UM St. Joseph has been recognized as one of the nation's 100 best hospitals for orthopedic surgery by Healthgrades, and ranked high performing in Hip Replacement, Knee Replacement and Back Surgery (Spinal Fusion) by U.S. News & World Report for multiple years .
Our Orthopaedic Institute specializes in pain management and rapid rehab following joint replacement. The Institute offers sports medicine, joint replacement, complex disc replacement surgery, upper extremity and foot and ankle surgery. UM St. Joseph was the first hospital in Maryland to offer VELYS robotic-assisted solution for robotic knee replacement.
The Spine Institute at UM St. Joseph is also part of our Orthopaedic Institute. Led by Dr. Justin Tortolani, The Spine Institute at UM St. Joseph brings together the expertise of our spine surgeons, spine care specialists and pain medicine specialists, all in one convenient location for patients. The Spine Institute also features an in-suite X-ray area for timely patient imaging, a designated pain medicine area equipped for precision and an Osteoporosis Center. Our team of spine experts provide patient-focused, state-of-the-art evaluation and treatment (surgical and non-surgical) for all spine conditions.
Our dedicated state-of-the-art, 50-bed inpatient Orthopaedic Unit includes 32 private rooms and a rehabilitation facility. Orthopaedic oncology is offered in concert with the Cancer Institute.
- Women's Services
The Family Childbirth Center provides comprehensive, family-oriented care. Includes nine Labor, Delivery and Recovery suites with a dedicated obstetric anesthesiologist available at all times; Mother/Baby Suite of 20 private postpartum rooms with a hotel-like atmosphere; full-term nursery and Level III+ Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU). Services include certified nurse midwives, lactation consultants, a Warm-Line to support breastfeeding and a wide range of family education classes. The Perinatal Center offers high-risk obstetrical services for patients with diabetes or kidney disease, multiple pregnancies and advanced maternal age; obstetric ultrasound in an AIUM-accredited practice; genetic counseling; prenatal diagnosis and testing for fetal well-being for pregnancies with complications.
- The Harry and Jeanette Weinberg Emergency Department
The Harry and Jeanette Weinberg Emergency Department Emergency Department is staffed by specially trained physicians and nurses, providing emergency treatment for more than 45,000 patients per year.
"Pediatrics After Hours Emergency Care" is an extension of the ER, staffed by pediatricians and pediatric nurses who offer expert care to children when their own pediatricians are not available, noon to 12 midnight, seven days a week.
The Stroke Center has been awarded a Certificate of Distinction as a Primary Stroke Center by The Joint Commission, as well as designation as a Primary Stroke Center by MIEMSS. UM St. Joseph has emergency physicians, intensivists and critical care staff certified in performing the NIH stroke scale, which evaluates stroke severity and assists in determining tPA (a clot-busting drug) treatment.
- Surgical Services
Surgical Services performs approximately 13,500 surgeries annually. State-of-the-art operating rooms with Surgical Prep and Recovery, Family Waiting Area, Family Liaison and Patient Tracking Technology to keep families updated. Approximately 300 surgeons provide a wide range of specialties including cardiac, orthopedic, spine, thoracic, vascular and neurosurgery. UM St. Joseph surgical staff perform Single-Incision Laparoscopic Surgery and perform da Vinci robotic surgeries for prostatectomy and GYN surgeries. UM St. Joseph was the first community hospital in Maryland to incorporate the World Health Organization Surgical Checklist.
- Psychiatric Services
Psychiatric Services offers three tiers of care including a 19-bed, short-term inpatient unit, a partial hospitalization program and an urgent assessment service. Staff psychiatrists, social workers, occupational therapists and nurses treat disorders such as depression, anxiety, and schizophrenia. Psychiatrist consultants provide emergency psychiatric evaluations in the Emergency Department.
- Diabetes Management
The Diabetes Management Center provides both inpatient and outpatient services, including a Diabetes Self-Management Program certified by the American Diabetes Association, a monthly support group, gestational diabetes services, nutrition counseling and community outreach.
Diagnostic & Treatment ServicesToggle accordion item
A full range of services includes clinical and anatomic pathology labs, Blood Bank, four Patient Service Center Labs on campus and one off-campus for convenience, Cardiographics, Radiology, Interventional Radiology, Nuclear Medicine, Electroencephalography, Ultrasound, Pulmonary Function Laboratory, and Physical, Occupational and Speech Therapy and Lymphedema Management.
At the forefront for advanced technology including:
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery Treatment treating brain, lung, liver and spine tumors
- MammoSite® Radiation Therapy System (RTS)
- Clinac iX linear accelerator for IMRT, IGRT and Cone Beam CT technology
- CT 64-slice GE LightSpeed scanner
- Nuclear Medicine - New GE Infinia II SPECT/CT camera provides anatomical fusion images
- Radiology – State of the art GE digital equipment
- Angio Room – GE Innova leading edge digital technology in spacious suite
- Rapid two-hour detection of Methicillin Resistant Staph Aureus by polymerase chain reaction
- Five-color flow cytometer for characterization of leukemia and lymphoma
- Wheelchair accessible plethysmograph for pulmonary function testing
UM St. Joseph's Community Health Department is committed to enhancing individuals' quality of life at all stages through classes, programs, and services. A broad variety of health-related topics are offered to the community. By partnering with local groups, the department can also provide classes, services and programs that help make Baltimore County a healthier place for all.
A subsidiary of UM St. Joseph Medical Center, the Foundation was founded by the Sisters of Saint Francis of Philadelphia and UM St. Joseph Medical Center Board of Directors. Through the efforts of its board members and staff, the Foundation seeks the philanthropic support of the community served by UM St. Joseph Medical Center. To ensure and support continued services of the medical center, fundraising is accomplished through planned gifts, major gifts, direct mail, special events, grants and major campaigns.
Spiritual care for all UM St. Joseph patients, families and staff focuses on the spiritual aspects of wellness, illness, recovery, medical care, ethical decisions, dying and death. All religious traditions are held sacred. An ecumenical staff of chaplains visit patients on a regular basis. The Spiritual Care Center includes a Chapel, Meditation Garden and Interfaith Prayer Room.