Patient and Family Resources
Schedule an appointment:410-337-1338 410-337-1338
At the University of Maryland St. Joseph Medical Center's Cancer Institute (UM SJMC), highly skilled medical professionals are setting new standards for cancer treatment, working together as a cohesive team and sharing innovative strategies. Here, cutting edge technologies meet compassionate, personal attention under one roof.
Cancer Outreach Program
The Cancer Outreach Program at UM SJMC reaches people in their communities. A variety of resources, programs, and classes are available to help patients learn more about cancer prevention, screening, treatment, disease-specific information, and survivorship issues.
- Nurse Navigator/Coordinator: a dedicated nurse navigator/coordinator helps patients and loved ones through the entire cancer treatment process. For more information, please call: 410-427-5585
- Genetic Counselor: provides patients and family members with education about their screening options and genetic testing for hereditary cancer risks.
- Oncology Social Worker: provides counseling, support groups, and educational programs for patients and families, helps with transportation, financial assistance, home and hospice care, and referrals to other community resources.
- Dietitian: offers tailored nutrition advice and counseling to promote health and wellness during and after treatment. A registered dietitian, specializing in oncology, is available to: assist patients and caregivers plan an optimal diet during any stage of the journey, help patients cope with side-effects and answer questions about the latest findings on cancer and nutrition.
- Spiritual Care: Chaplain services and spiritual care provide support to meet the spiritual needs of cancer patients and their loved ones.
- Patient Library: a comprehensive information center for people interested in learning more about cancer-related issues.
- Palliative Care: services offered by our Palliative Care Team help manage the physical and emotional symptoms of the treatment of cancer and serious illnesses. Learn more about our palliative care services.
- Cancer Rehabilitation Services: The UM St. Joseph Outpatient Rehabilitation Institute offers specialized treatment and support for patients who are coping with cancer or the after-effects of cancer treatment, including pain, numbness, swelling, fatigue, speech or swallowing difficulties and more.
We offer classes on nutrition and emotional support during your treatment. For More information on classes and support services, please call 410-427-5585.
- SOS (Survivors Offering Support): provides peer-to-peer support for breast cancer patients. Learn more about SOS.
- Transition to Wellness: a workshop to provide coping tools and information as patients enter the wellness phase as a breast cancer survivor. Learn more about Transition to Wellness.
In addition, we offer a full range of wellness and support programs for mind-body-spirit health at our Barbara L. Posner Wellness & Support Center. To learn more, please call 410-427-5585.
At UM St. Joseph Medical Center, cancer screenings are provided for the community throughout the year. Early detection is key, and there are steps you can take to detect cancer early when it is most treatable.
Screening 80% Pledge Program
- Ongoing colon screenings are offered in partnership with the Baltimore County Cancer Program.
- If you do not have coverage or have high out-of-pocket costs for a colonoscopy, you could be eligible to receive assistance.
- Please call Baltimore County Department of Health at 410-887-3456.
Low-Dose Lung Screening
- Screenings are held throughout the year at Advanced Radiology, in cooperation with UM SJMC Cancer Institute.
- Please call your primary care physician to see if you qualify.
For more information about upcoming screenings, please call 410-337-1479 or check the community calendar for upcoming screenings and events.
Ostomy Care and Education
Board-certified nurses who specialize in ostomy care and rehabilitation help patients adjust comfortably to life with an ostomy. They provide comprehensive teaching, counseling and care for individuals with colostomies, ileostomies, and urinary diversions. Learn more about The Ostomy Center at UM St. Joseph Medical Center.
Cancer Institute Patient and Family Advisory Council
Our Cancer Institute Patient and Family Advisory Council is a group of staff members, patients and their family members and committed volunteers that helps ensure that the care we provide is always patient- and family-centered. We rely on their input to continue to provide quality, compassionate and advanced care.