Call for appointment:240-677-3000 240-677-3000
Recognizing stroke symptoms can save a life.
The sooner you receive treatment, the better the chance for a full recovery.
Know the Signs
B.E. F.A.S.T. is a helpful way to notice the signs of a stroke. If you notice any of these signs, call 911 right away.
- Balance: Loss of balance, headache or dizziness
- Eyes: Blurred vision
- Face drooping: Is the person’s face droopy or numb on one side? Ask the person to smile to get a better idea if their face is affected.
- Arm weakness: Is one arm weak or numb? If you ask the person to raise their arms and one side drifts down, this could be a sign of a stroke.
- Speech difficulty: Is the person’s speech slurred or uneven? Ask them to repeat a phrase, such as “I like chocolate” to help you determine if they could be having a stroke.
- Time to call 911: Seeing any one of these symptoms could be a sign of a stroke. Call for help immediately.
Other Stroke Symptoms
- Numbness or weakness of the leg, arm or face
- Confusion or trouble understanding
- Vision problems in one or both eyes
- Difficulty walking, sudden dizziness, loss of balance or coordination
- A severe headache that starts suddenly