Are You Ready for Bariatric Surgery
Call for appointment:240-677-0777 240-677-0777
Bariatric weight loss surgery is intended to help people who need to lose significant amounts of weight and who have other health conditions that would be reduced or eliminated with weight loss.
The goal of bariatric surgery is for patients to lose at least 50% of their excess weight in the first year after surgery and keep it off for life.
Generally, weight loss surgery may be a good option if you are:
- Over 18 years of age
- Have a body mass index (BMI) over 40
- Are more than 100 pounds overweight
- Have not been able to lose weight through traditional diet and exercise efforts
- Have a BMI between 35 and 40, but have potentially life-threatening, obesity-related medical complications such as diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure and sleep apnea
Weight loss surgery in these circumstances is usually deemed medically necessary and therefore covered by most insurance plans.
Benefits of Bariatric Surgery
Being overweight can have serious consequences to your overall health.
- Type 2 diabetes
- Heartburn and gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- High blood pressure and heart disease
- Menstrual irregularities, infertility issues and birth defects
- Sleep apnea and respiratory issues
- Urinary stress incontinence
Many people who undergo bariatric surgery see a reduction in symptoms of their weight-related diseases and often reduce the amount of medications they require to manage their health.
A Lifestyle Change
Successful weight loss surgery requires a commitment to lifestyle changes necessary to lose weight and keep it off.
You must to commit to a lifestyle that includes reduced calorie consumption, moderate exercise and follow-up care. We will support you with nutritional education, counseling and monitoring, and we will be your cheerleader for every pound you lose.