UM BWMC Quality and Awards
Quality of Care at UM BWMC
University of Maryland Baltimore Washington Medical Center is committed to providing you and your family with high quality care at all times. Because we believe it's important to inform you about the treatment you'd be receiving here, below are links to various web sites that routinely provide information to consumers about the quality of care in hospitals:
- The Joint Commission Quality Check
- Maryland Health Care Commission's Quality Reports
- Medicare.gov's Hospital Compare
If you have a question, concern or suggestion about your care at UM BWMC, please call our Patient Advocates at 410-787-4200. Please note that the mandatory data reported to each of these sites may be different, resulting in different scores and ratings, and may measure different time periods.
UM BWMC is laser focused on the quality of care we provide to our patients. We are proud that our efforts have been recognized in numerous ways. While it is not about any individual award, the totality of the awards highlights the consistently high quality of care that we provide for our community, especially related to some of the most complex services we offer. Some of these quality and safety achievements include:
- 2021 Top Workplaces USA Award. Learn more.
- 'A' in the fall 2020 Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grade for the third consecutive reporting period. Learn more.
- Top Workplaces 2020 honor by The Baltimore Sun. Learn more.
- Named a 'Best Hospital' in the Baltimore Metro Area and state of Maryland by U.S. News & World Report, and ranked High Performing in the categories of COPD Treatment, Heart Failure Treatment, Colon Cancer Surgery and Lung Cancer Surgery. Learn more.
- 2020 Minogue Award for Patient Safety Innovation by the Maryland Patient Safety Center. Learn more.
- 'A' rating in spring 2020 by the Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grade.
- Pathway to Excellence® designation from the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC). UM BWMC is just the third hospital in Maryland to receive the designation. Learn more.
- Top Workplaces 2019 Award by The Baltimore Sun. Learn more.
- 'A' rating in fall 2019 by the Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grade. Learn more.
- Specialty clinical quality awards from Healthgrades in the following areas: America's 100 Best Hospitals for Orthopedic Surgery Award, America's 100 Best Hospitals for Spine Surgery Award and the General Surgery Excellence Award.
- Named a Top Hospital in Maryland by U.S. News & World Report, and ranked High Performing in the categories of COPD Treatment, Heart Failure Treatment, Colon Cancer Surgery and Lung Cancer Surgery.
- American Heart Association/American Stroke Association's 2019 Get With The Guidelines® Target Stroke Honor Roll Elite Plus Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award.
- Mission: Lifeline® Gold Quality Achievement Award from the American Heart Association for the treatment of patients who suffer severe heart attacks. Learn more.
- Honor Roll - Elite Award - from the American Heart Association's Target Stroke program.
- Mission: Lifeline® Gold Quality Achievement Award from the American Heart Association.
- Mission: Lifeline® NSTEMI Silver Quality Achievement Award from the American Heart Association.
- American Heart Association/American Stroke Association's 2018 Get With The Guidelines®-Stroke Silver Plus Quality Achievement Award.
- American College of Cardiology Foundation's NCDR ACTION Registry Platinum Performance Achievement Award.