Campus History - Nuclear Medicine Residency
Founded in 1807 as the fifth medical school in the country, the University of Maryland was first known as the College of Medicine of Maryland. Davidge Hall, its first building, was constructed in 1812 and is the oldest building in the United States used continuously for medical education.
The University of Maryland Hospital was established in 1823 as the Baltimore Infirmary, the clinical teaching unit of the School of Medicine. Senior students lived in the hospital while helping care for the patients, and the Baltimore Infirmary offered the first intramural residency program in the United States.
The school became part of the University of Maryland in 1920 when the professional schools in Baltimore merged with the Maryland State College of Agriculture in College Park. The School of Medicine is now one of six professional schools which comprise the university's Campus for the Professions.
Today, the University of Maryland Baltimore Campus is recognized internationally for its outstanding educational, research and training programs. More than 5,300 students are enrolled in degree programs, and more than 8,700 faculty and staff members are employed on the city campus. The 16-square block campus (36 acres) is located a few blocks from the heart of this historic city's business district, Oriole Park at Camden Yards, the Baltimore Ravens' football stadium, and the revitalized Inner Harbor. The campus is also adjacent to the new University of Maryland BioPark, an ultramodern community of life science companies and academic research centers.
Baltimore is the twelfth largest city in the country and is the center of a metropolitan population of approximately three million. Baltimore provides many cultural advantages including an excellent symphony, fine galleries and museums, professional athletic teams, historic sites, a variety of theater, and numerous medical and educational institutions.