Wellness and Resilience
Our program has a strong commitment to resident wellness and resilience. We are committed to ensuring our residents have balance and a focus on well-being. We aim to achieve this through:
- Annual resident retreats for our senior residents in June
- Annual intern retreat in the fall
- Wellness half days (in addition to regularly scheduled days off and vacation) for residents to use for doctor's appointments or other personal time
- Monthly resident social events coordinated through our Postgraduate Education Committee (PGEC) and our Resident Wellness Committee. Highlights include pet therapy, waffle day, social gatherings, annual holiday party and others.
- A resident lounge specifically for internal medicine residents, open 24/7
We also have a Resident Mentor Program where every intern is paired with a senior resident mentor upon matching with our program.
House Staff Association (HSA)
Our GME has an HSA that puts on social events and wellness events throughout the year for all residents and fellows at UMMC. A highlight is the annual Valentine's Day Ball at the B&O Museum.
RISE Program – Resilience in Stressful Events
The University of Maryland Medical Center provides support during stressful times through RISE, a support program available to all faculty, trainees and staff.
Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
EAP counselors assist managing health and any personal or job-related stressors at no cost. All interns have an EAP appointment scheduled for them during their fall AGIM block for a wellness check in and are encouraged to use EAP services throughout their residency.