UMMC Women's Health offers comprehensive menopausal health care services for mid-life women who have completed child-bearing, and peri- and post-menopausal women of all ages.
- Annual well woman gynecological exams
- Evaluation and treatment of menopausal symptoms, including hot flashes, sleep disturbances, vaginal dryness, pain with intercourse, mood changes, and abnormal bleeding. We will discuss bio-identical hormones, compounded hormones, different ways to administer hormones (pill, patch, gel, cream, vaginal tablets and rings) and explore non-hormonal therapies
- Gynecologic care of women with menopausal symptoms or sexual concerns after cancer treatment or related to chronic diseases
- Evaluation and management of sexual problems including decreased libido, diminished genital sensitivity, pain with intercourse, difficulty achieving orgasm
- Breast health including breast self-exam, referral for mammograms and other screening modalities, risk assessment for breast cancer, prevention strategies for high risk women, and gynecologic care for breast cancer survivors
- Osteoporosis screening and treatment, including referral for bone density testing, recommendations for calcium and Vitamin D therapy, weight bearing exercises, and medications
- Screening for colon cancer, including fecal occult blood testing and referrals for colonoscopy
- Screening for pelvic organ prolapse, urinary incontinence, overactive bladder, pessary fitting and care and coordinating referrals to urogynecology specialists for treatment
- Healthy lifestyle choices including a heart healthy diet, exercise, lipid screening, and smoking cessation referrals
In addition, we provide guidance and support in navigating the transition through menopause, including decisions regarding hormone therapy, preventative care, and changes in sexual function.
A complete medical history and exam focuses on each woman's symptoms, past medical history, risk factors, family history and personal preferences. Our practitioners involve patients in all aspects of their care, share information and decision making, and provide treatment recommendations in a caring atmosphere.
After the comprehensive evaluation, each care plan is individualized. Our physicians consider both the physical and emotional aspects of mature women's health needs, emphasizing healthy lifestyle choices to promote and maintain quality of life.
Hormone Replacement Therapy
As women age, ovarian function declines, menstrual cycles become irregular and eventually stop, resulting in a marked decrease in estrogen levels.
In some women, the transition through menopause may be relatively symptom free; however, over 50 percent of women experience problematic symptoms. Hot flashes, night sweats, sleep disturbances and vaginal dryness are the most common menopausal complaints. The decrease in estrogen is also associated with an increase in the risk of osteoporosis and may contribute to an increased risk of heart disease, diabetes and colon cancer.
Your doctors will thoroughly discuss the potential risks and benefits and develop an individual program that meets your needs and concerns. Learn more about hormone therapy.
More Information & Appointments
For more information or to make an appointment, please call 667-214-1300 or 866-608-4228.