Prenatal Genetic Counseling
Call for appointment:410-328-3865 410-328-3865
The Center for Advanced Fetal Care’s Prenatal Genetic Counseling Program offers genetic counseling to pregnant patients as well as couples hoping to become pregnant.
What to Expect with Genetic Counseling
Who are genetic counselors?
We are healthcare providers trained in both genetics and counseling to help you understand if your pregnancy is at risk for genetic syndromes, chromosome abnormalities or birth defects and the testing options available to get more information. Our goal is to help empower you to make the best decisions for you and your family in your current or future pregnancy.
Who is offered genetic counseling?
- Women 35 or older during their pregnancy
- Couples with a personal or family history of a genetic condition or birth defect
- Couples who have abnormal blood test results
- Women who have had two or more miscarriages
- Receiving abnormal ultrasound findings during pregnancy
- Using certain medications during pregnancy
What should I expect from genetic counseling?
- We use your personal, pregnancy and family history, as well as your partner’s personal and family history to discuss any potential risks to your current or future pregnancy.
- We will review any abnormal ultrasound or test results and explain why it is abnormal, what this means for your pregnancy and what the next steps are
- We will discuss testing options with you and your partner; you and/or your partner may have blood drawn
For more information or to make an appointment, please call 410-328-3865.