Referring Physicians - Maternal Fetal Medicine
Call for appointment:410-328-3865 410-328-3865
The Center for Advanced Fetal Care (CAFC) is a world-class clinical and research facility dedicated to a single goal – preserving the lives of the unborn child and providing hope to their families.
The center offers comprehensive testing and evaluation of fetal abnormalities. The CAFC team provides care and support for the unborn child with non-invasive and invasive techniques that are now standard around the world. The physician team is able to draw from the medical center's multi-disciplinary team and University of Maryland's Children's Hospital to seamlessly care for both mother and baby. Because of the breath of expertise at University of Maryland Medical Center, your patients are provided with an unmatched continuum of care spanning from fetal to newborn to pediatrics to long-term follow up.
Referring is simple.
The CAFC referral line is always answered by a perinatal nurse to make sure your patient's care is coordinated appropriately.
- For non-emergency referrals, please call 410-328-2993 or 410-328-3865.
- For urgent referrals via air transport or ambulance, call Maryland Express Care at 800-373-4111.
Areas of Expertise
- Comprehensive screenings, even for low-risk pregnancies
- Advanced fetal imaging (3-D and 4-D ultrasounds) to detect fetal heart defects
- Intrauterine fetal blood transfusions
- Laser surgery for conditions such as twin-to-twin transfusion, fetal and placental tumors (one of the top 10 laser centers in North America)
- Diagnostic techniques to detect fetal abnormalities such as fetal blood disorders, fetal urinary tract obstructions
- Genetic counseling
- University of Maryland Medical Center
22 South Greene Street, N6E40
Baltimore, MD 21201
Anne Arundel County
- University of Maryland Baltimore Washington Medical Center
301 Hospital Drive
Glen Burnie, MD 21061
Meet the Fetal Care Specialists
Chris Harman, MD
Professor and Chair, Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, University of Maryland School of Medicine; Director, Center for Advanced Fetal Care; Head, Maternal/Fetal Medicine
As one of the developers of the Biophysical Profile Score, the preeminent fetal assessment method, Dr. Harman is an expert in fetal health evaluation and led the team that performed the first intravascular fetal transfusion in North America.
M. Ozhan Turan, MD , PhD, FACOG
Associate Professor in Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, University of Maryland School of Medicine; Director, Fetal Therapy & Complex Obstetric Surgery
Dr. Ozhan Turan received his fellowship and training in Maternal and Fetal Medicine at University of Maryland Medical Center as well as in Harris Birthright Centre in London. Dr. Turan has done extensive research in fetal monitoring and Doppler ultrasound, and recently developed 3D and 2D ultrasound methods to predict preterm labor. He has advanced training and experience in fetal interventions and complex maternal surgery.
Shifa Turan, MD
Assistant Professor in Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, University of Maryland School of Medicine; Director, Fetal Heart Program
Dr. Shifa Turan developed first trimester fetal echocardiography to detect congenital cardiac abnormalities using 4D ultrasound. This new technique allows for earlier detection and treatment of heart abnormalities.