Call for appointment:410-328-4323 410-328-4323
The University of Maryland's Center for Multiple Sclerosis is committed to providing the highest level of diagnosis and long-term care for individuals with MS.
We work closely with patients, families and primary care physicians to develop treatment plans that help patients manage their conditions effectively and lead active, productive lives.
The University of Maryland Center for Multiple Sclerosis is recognized as a world leader in innovative research programs with the goal of finding effective therapies and eventually curing or preventing MS.
Diagnosis and Management of Multiple Sclerosis
- Complete Patient History and Neurological Examination: A neurologist dedicated to patient care and MS research sees each new patient for an extensive history and physical examination. The cause of neurological symptoms is evaluated carefully, utilizing the latest in technology.
- Nursing Assessment and Education: Nursing care is considered of great importance at the Center. A team of nurses specializing in the care of MS assists in evaluating new patients and managing established patients. Our nurses provide extensive education regarding the disease and the various treatments currently available. Nurses coordinate rehabilitative care and home care services.
- Diagnostic Services: State-of-the-art technology is available at the University of Maryland to assist the neurologist in the diagnosis and management of multiple sclerosis.
- Multidisciplinary Services: The skills of numerous specialists are often necessary in the care of MS patients. As part of the University of Maryland, physical therapy, rehabilitation, urology, speech and psychology services are available.
- Rehabilitation: Physical and occupational therapy, speech therapy and assessment of swallowing problems are available through the Center.
- Outpatient Services: Outpatient therapy services are available at the University of Maryland Medical Center, UM Rehabilitation & Orthopaedic Institute, UM Rehabilitation Institute at Woodlawn, as well as locations throughout the Rehabilitation Services.
- Inpatient Services: Patients who require intense inpatient rehabilitation are treated at the UM Rehabilitation & Orthopaedic Institute.
- Infusion Services: Often intravenous medications are prescribed for the treatment of multiple sclerosis. Infusion services are available in our Ambulatory Center.
- Education and Patient Library: Members of the MS Center are active in MS education for patients, family members and other health team members. Center physicians and nurses volunteer with the National Multiple Sclerosis Society to give lectures and assist with local support groups. The Center has extensive written information regarding multiple sclerosis and treatment options.