The American Heart Association has awarded UM UCMC and UM HMH Gold Plus and Target: Stroke Elite Honor Roll recognition in the Get With The Guidelines-Stroke® program.
In Maryland, a stroke patient arrives at the hospital every thirty minutes. Stroke affects over 800,000 people each year and is the leading cause of disability in the United States. Both of our hospitals have accredited Primary Stroke Centers and are fully equipped to treat people experiencing a stroke. Having a dedicated and well-coordinated team specializing in the care of acute stroke patients improves outcomes.
At UM Upper Chesapeake we have:
- Stroke trained physicians and nurses in our emergency departments and inpatient units
- Board-certified neurologist on staff who serves as the Stroke Center medical director
- Dedicated Stroke Coordinator covering both hospitals
- A Stroke Alert response team that assembles quickly to treat patients within minutes of their arrival
- Diagnostic resources that provide thorough patient evaluations to reduce the risk of permanent disability
BE FAST is a quick way to spot a possible stroke. If you or someone around you is exhibiting these symptoms call 911 immediately.
Even kids can recognize the signs of stroke! This video will help you detect stroke symptoms and B.E. F.A.S.T.