To schedule an appointment:410-337-1337 410-337-1337
An Important Safety Announcement:
For the safety of our expectant parents and their families, and in accordance with current public health recommendations, we are currently hosting VIRTUAL CLASSES only, with the following exceptions: Little Latch Club support group meetings will be held in person, with attendance limited to 10 people; registration is required. Car seat safety checks are still being offered, as they take place outdoors. Learn more and view our current calendar of classes. If you have any questions, please contact our Childbirth and Family Education team at 410-337-1880 or SJMChildbirthEd@umm.edu.
At UM St. Joseph, we are here for you before and after your baby comes. Even if you've taken our childbirth classes, we know you'll have questions. And there is nothing like some mom-to-mom time to lift your spirits. Our support groups and parenting resources offer both.
A support group for women throughout pregnancy, postpartum, motherhood and life, led by a certified nurse-midwife. Newborns are welcome. Due to COVID-19, Circle is meeting virtually at this time. Call 443-415-4898 to learn how to join. FREE.
Meets on the second and fourth Mondays each month, from 2:30 - 4 pm
Little Latch Club
New just-for-you time with baby: Our supportive club offers a safe, relaxing, baby-friendly time for new moms to connect with their little ones—and each other—as they share the blessings and challenges of motherhood. Little Latch Club is hosted by our board-certified lactation consultants and offers moms a place to share feeding questions and concerns, gain breastfeeding knowledge and support…and make new, lifelong friends!
We know that breastfeeding can be challenging. Wherever you find yourself on the journey—exclusively breastfeeding, pumping, switched to bottle feeding or at any stage—know that you are welcome here! FREE.
Private Breastfeeding Consultations
Are you home now with baby and still experiencing breastfeeding challenges? We're here for you! UM St. Joseph offers private, hour-long sessions with a board-certified lactation consultant for moms who would like one-on-one time to talk about ongoing feeding difficulties. Some common challenges that we help with include painful or difficult latch, slow weight gain, low milk supply, oversupply and more. We are here to provide a compassionate ear, hands-on help and a feeding plan to support your goals in your breast-feeding journey.
Registration is required. Once you register online, you will receive information about how to schedule your personalized visit. If you have questions or need assistance, please call our Breastfeeding WarmLine at 410-337-3994 to speak with a consultant. $75 per session.
Car Seat Safety Checks
In-person Car Seat Safety Checks with the experts at UM St. Joseph help ensure that your baby is snug and safe for the ride! Please call our office at 410-337-1880 for more information. FREE.
Also available: Virtual checks offered by Maryland Kids in Safety Seats (KISS).
Online Parenting Support Groups
Online support groups can be a convenient and extremely helpful resource for new moms. Joining a Facebook group or starting a texting group chat with family and friends can be a great way to get support.
Below are a few other supportive options for new moms:
- All Babies Cry: This video series follows real parents for the first six months of life at home with their new baby. Drawing from decades of research on infant behavior, this series empowers new parents with practical demonstrations of infant soothing strategies for managing normal stress in parenting.
- Smart Patients Postpartum Community: This online community is a private space where women can receive peer support and feel comfortable sharing openly. One of the main goals of this community is to make mothers and families aware that effective help is available, that they can get better and that this online community can help you find knowledgeable providers who understand how to treat postpartum depression.
- Moms Support Group: This online support group is a place for new moms to share concerns, ask questions and receive peer support.
- The Pump Station Parent & Me Program: All Parent & Me groups are led by credentialed therapists who specialize in early child development and maternal mental health. The groups are based on a mindful and conscious parenting philosophy, emphasizing how to parent with reflection, respect and connection.
- Breastfeeding Support: This online forum provides you with resources to help you make a decision about breastfeeding and to help you with any challenges that arise with breastfeeding.