Childbirth and Family Education
For more information call:410-337-1880 410-337-1880
University of Maryland St. Joseph Medical Center (UM St. Joseph) offers certified, expert-led childbirth and family education classes, virtually and in person, to help you and your family prepare for a healthy childbirth and "new family" experience.
All classes are held at The Barbara L. Posner Wellness & Support Center. All members of the community are welcome, but priority for in-person classes will be given to those participants who will be delivering at UM St. Joseph. We recommend taking your general childbirth education classes starting around 27 or 28 weeks of pregnancy.
Learn more and view our current calendar of classes (online registration is available; class fees apply unless otherwise noted). Remember: We're here for you! If you have any questions, please contact the Childbirth and Family Education team at 410-337-1880 or SJMChildbirthEd@umm.edu..
Childbirth Education Class (In-Person and Virtual Classes Available!)
Led by experienced labor and delivery registered nurses certified in childbirth education, this class covers basic coping and relaxation techniques, the important role of a support person, the stages of labor and pain relief options (medications, helpful labor positions, etc.), postpartum care and other important topics related to the birthing experience. We will also review what you can expect during your stay at UM St. Joseph. A virtual tour is also provided.
The in-person Childbirth Education class is offered as a three-week series or as a one-day weekend class. The virtual class s offered as a three-week series.
- Register for in-person Childbirth Education classes: Three-Week Class | One-Day Class
- Register for our group virtual Childbirth Education class
Need to figure out which option is best for you? Please call the Family Education office at 410-337-1880 to learn more about the differences between our in-person and virtual classes.
Customized Individual Childbirth Education Sessions
We're flexible! If you are unable to attend our scheduled in-person classes or would prefer individualized instruction, one-on-one customized telephone or video-call consultations with a childbirth educator can be arranged for your convenience. We will provide you with all the information you need for these personal sessions. A virtual tour is also provided.
- Sessions will be scheduled at mutually convenient times for the participants and instructor
- Program may include two or three sessions (depending on the topics being covered and session length)
- PLEASE NOTE: This program offers one-to-one instruction for couples who need a flexible childbirth education schedule. Please use the link above to sign up for our virtual (group) Childbirth Education Class.
Led by a certified lactation consultant, this class helps expectant parents learn the benefits of breastfeeding and offers helpful techniques and tips for breastfeeding success. Virtual and in-person options are available each month.
- Register for a Breastfeeding class
Baby Care Class
Led by our expert registered nurse educators, this weekend one-day or weekday two-day class helps prepare expectant moms to bring their newborn home and care for their little one through their first year of life. We’ll review calming and soothing techniques, when to call your pediatrician, childproofing, infant CPR and choking prevention, general safety practices and more!
- Offered as a one-day weekend class or a two-day weekday class
- Register for Baby Care Class
Breathing and Relaxation for Childbirth
Designed for expectant parents planning a low-intervention or natural childbirth, this class dives deep into important relaxation and breathing techniques for a smoother labor and delivery experience, be it at home or in a hospital setting.
Among other multiple sensory comfort strategies, you will learn about birth positions that can help you manage labor pain naturally.
- Register for Breathing and Relaxation for Childbirth class
This course helps new grandparents get up to speed on modern approaches to newborn care to support new parents. You will learn about the latest health and safety concerns as they pertain to infants, including CPR tips and more.
- For grandparents only
- If two grandparents want to attend the same class together, please register as individuals and then indicate that you will be sitting with each other.
- Register for Grandparents Update class
Coming Soon! Understanding Your Pregnancy: A Prenatal Virtual Lunch and Learn
Before your first obstetrician (OB) appointment, join us for a virtual session to find out what to expect during your pregnancy. We'll help you understand the basics of early pregnancy and give answers to expectant parents' most frequently asked questions. We will also offer tips on how to approach your first OB appointment so you can make the most of your visit with your provider.
- This session is FREE.
Car Seat Safety Checks
We offer FREE car seat safety checks by certified child passenger safety technicians to help parents ensure their little one's safety during each car ride. Our safety checks take place at Long Green Volunteer Fire Department in Glen Arm, MD.
- Please register online or call us at 410-337-1880 for an appointment or more information.
Spinning Babies® Birth Preparation Class
Spinning Babies Birth Preparation Class highlights your baby’s active role to rotate down and out of the pelvis during birth. Learn techniques to help muscles in your pelvis support and relax for an easier birth. During labor, the baby turns through three levels of the pelvis. Together, you and your birth partner can use these techniques before and during labor to help “make room for baby!” Spinning Babies reveals how the baby can find optimal positions for labor and allows birth to be more comfortable. Bring your birth partner to learn how to help you in pregnancy, labor, and birth.
Baby’s job in labor is to rotate, or “spin," for a healthy and safe delivery. In class, you will learn about:
- Spinning Babies techniques
- Daily essential activities
- The Three Balances℠ to help birth muscles relax, increase comfort and ease birth later
- Birth positions that open the pelvis that let the baby come through more easily
- Solutions for when labor doesn’t move forward in a typical pattern
Who should take this class?
- Anyone seeking to increase their chances of an easier pregnancy and birth. These classes offer great hands-on training and will assist you during any type of birth you choose: an unmedicated birth, epidural, planned cesarean section, or vaginal birth after a cesarean section
- This class is most appropriate for women beginning at 23 weeks gestation through the end of pregnancy.
- If your baby is in a breech or sideways position after 34 weeks, please call to schedule a private class
- This class is for expectant parents and their birth partners only.
Register for Spinning Babies Birth Preparation Class