Labor, Delivery and Recovery
To make your delivery as pleasant and safe as possible, UM SJMC combines the comforts of home with modern technology. With just one patient per room, our Labor, Delivery and Recovery (LDR) rooms provide the privacy needed during this special time in your life.
Our operating rooms in the birthing unit are used for Cesarean births. Experienced physicians, certified nurse-midwives and nurses provide high-quality care, and central fetal monitoring assures that your baby’s heart rate is observed at all times. In fact, our nurses are trained in current Association of Women’s Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses (AWHONN) monitoring techniques and will be there to ensure that you and your baby are safe and as comfortable as possible.
After delivery, a specialized newborn assessment and admission nurse will focus exclusively on your baby to provide a smooth transition to his or her new surroundings. Meanwhile, the labor nurse will continue to care for you during your recovery stay in Labor & Delivery.
At UM SJMC, on-site 24-hour staffing by a board-certified obstetrician ensures continuous access to emergency care. You will also have 24-hour access to board-certified anesthesiologists and pain management services.
St. Joseph’s Outstanding Clinical and Comfort Policies
- Moms allowed clear liquids while in labor
- Physicians see patient throughout the labor process, not just occasionally
- Dedicated nurse for the baby
- Low C-section rate, allowing moms to choose labor in the future following a C-section
- C-section patients receive epidural anesthesia they control for one to two days following birth
- Foley catheters for C-section patients inserted after anesthesia, not before
- 24/7 in-house OB anesthesiologist
- Dedicated obstetrics rapid response team for emergencies