Quitting Smoking: Resources on the Eastern Shore
Quitting smoking may not be easy, but remember that you are not alone. There are many resources available to support you.
You may also qualify for University of Maryland Shore Regional Health's Lung Cancer Screening Program, which can help catch disease at its earliest, most treatable stage. The program is offered by University of Maryland Shore Medical Group - Pulmonary Care in Cambridge, Chestertown and Easton on Maryland's Eastern Shore.
You can also reach out to a local smoking cessation support resource. Programs are available in all five counties served by UM Shore Regional Health and many programs offer free smoking cessation medications or aids, education, support and developing a personal quit plan.
Breathe Again: A Journey to a Smoke-Free and Healthier YOU
This course, offered by UM Shore Regional Health, provides guidance, information, tools and resources to help course participants quit smoking.
Course topics include:
- Class 1: Smoking 101
- Class 2: Creating a quit-smoking plan
- Class 3: Information on the various health risks of smoking
- Class 4: Discussion on the challenges to quitting smoking
- Class 5: Information, tools and resources to staying smoke free
Attendance in all five sessions of the course is encouraged but not required.
Participants who complete the course can expect:
- Improved health
- To gain a deeper understanding of the addiction of smoking and its effects on your health
- Improvement in mood or with symptoms of depression
- A reduced need for doctors’ visits or hospitalization
- Connection with a community of individuals on the same journey
- To learn effective strategies to overcome cravings and triggers
- Increased chances of achieving long-term success in quitting smoking
Eastern Shore Tobacco Cessation Programs
- Learn more about tobacco cessation in Dorchester County.
- Call 410-228-3223 for details about Thrive Dorchester's program or to request a Quit Smoking Packet. Find a smoking and vaping cessation event near you.
- Get more information about smoking cessation programs in Kent County.
- Call 410-778-2533 for more information about what smoking cessation support and tools Kent County Department of health has to offer or email Nicole Morris.
Queen Anne's County
- The Cigarette Restitution Fund Program offers Smoking Cessation Counseling for residents of Queen Anne's County.
- Call 443-758-1306 for more information about quitting smoking in Queen Anne's County or send an email to Dorine Fassett, the Prevention Coordinator.
- This smoking cessation program is free to Talbot County residents. Classes run for 12 weeks and there is a combination of group education and individual support and counseling.
- For more information, call the Talbot County Health Department at 410-819-5639.
Maryland Tobacco Quitline
SmokeFree offers a variety of interactive tools to help you quit smoking.
MDQuit links professionals and providers to state tobacco initiatives in Maryland.
BecomeAnEX is a free, interactive website that shows smokers how to relearn life without cigarettes.